Vice President, Government Affairs (NJ)
About the position
This position is responsible for managing and coordinating executive, legislative and regulatory activities for Prudential in Trenton, New Jersey, its domiciliary state. Responsibilities include: serving a consistent interface with the New Jersey Legislature, Executive Branch, Federal New Jersey Congressional District Offices, Newark and other local public officials; monitoring and identifying issues that impact Prudential’s businesses and the financial services industry in general; proactively advocating Prudential’s position and disseminating Prudential research; effectively engaging in and maintaining leadership roles in trade association work; and supporting and facilitating information in coordination with Prudential’s policy, federal and international lobbying teams. Prudential operates in all 50 states, and our State Team lobbying is divided by region. The NJ Region position is critically important because Prudential has multiple NJ domestic life insurers and affiliated companies located in NJ; the Company is headquartered in Newark, NJ, and the majority of its domestic employees work in NJ. Some travel is required.
The position is located in Trenton, NJ and reports to the Vice President of Government Affairs State Team Leader.
· External Affairs: Work closely with all functions of External Affairs, including federal, policy and international lobbyists, to develop and implement Prudential’s position and advocacy approach on legislative and regulatory issues. Keep colleagues regularly abreast of developments in the executive, legislative and regulatory arenas in your respective region.
· Law and Compliance Departments: Work with various members of the Law and Compliance Departments to identify issues impacting the Company, coordinate Company input into developing policy, and assist in developing regulatory priorities.
· Business Unit and Corporate Centers: Work with business and Company leaders in engagement activities, helping to keep individuals informed and properly connected to Company priorities.
· Coordinate and collaborate with other responsible departments on Group Wide Supervision activities at NJ Department of Banking and Insurance (DOBI).
· Become familiar with and involved in the executive, legislative and regulatory activities of Prudential’s national and state trade associations.
· Keep appropriate individuals in External Affairs, Law, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and various businesses apprised of the legislative and regulatory activities of the various associations
· Coordinate Prudential’s involvement in committees and working groups that are responsible for responding to and commenting on proposed regulations.
· Work with associations to advocate Prudential’s legislative and regulatory positions with regulators, legislators and other policymakers.
· Legislative and regulatory experience in the insurance and/or financial services industry required
· Lobbying experience in insurance-related matters, including experience with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI) preferred
· Master’s Degree or Law Degree preferred
· At least 7-10 years of relevant experience in government affairs, principally at the state level, or related experience
· In-depth understanding of state, political, legislative and regulatory landscapes in Trenton and Newark, NJ.
· A high level of interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish rapport and credibility with key individuals and to build and maintain a broad network of contacts
· Superior analytical, written and oral communication skills
· Strong commitment to teamwork with proven ability to work collaboratively across team, departmental and industry “boundaries”
· Proven leadership and project management skills to drive execution
· Ability to handle multiple projects effectively
· Ability to effectively interact with business clients, including senior management
· Adaptability to fast moving and changing landscapes/situations
· Ability to manage expectations of clients and colleagues
· Continually strive for excellence
· Curiosity and desire to learn
· High integrity
· Willingness to travel
Learn more here
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company’s well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential’s businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.
Job posted: 2020-05-08