Vice President, Government Affairs and Public Policy
Sage Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, integrative thinker for an important role responsible for the overall Government Affairs strategy. Working alongside the External Affairs team, the Vice President and Head of Office, will be responsible for the federal and state leadership in public policy, legislation, advocacy, and the management of the federal and state team of lobbyists and policy professionals. Additional responsibilities will require this position to build and direct cross-functional strategies and communication processes with executive leadership, senior management, and other functions.
Roles and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Accountable for leading the Government Affairs team, including recruiting, developing, and retaining a team of highly skilled government affairs professionals responsible for organization’s policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs.
- Lead efforts to identify business risks and opportunities, and to develop & execute legislative, regulatory, federal, and state government solutions & strategies that maximize the value of the Sage portfolio.
- Partner with the business to integrate government affairs into the business strategy and business planning process.
- Ensure that federal and state policy and legislation does not unfairly limit or hinder patient access to treatment and promotes a positive policy and legislative environment, while establishing Sage’s position as a credible partner.
- Elevate Sage’s voice among federal and state stakeholders, aligned with organizations strategic imperatives, and in coordination with the External Affairs team.
- Foster ongoing relationships with appointed and elected officials and other external stakeholders.
- Guide and represent the Company on legislative and regulatory affairs with elected and appointed leaders and government officials in regulatory and other agencies and their respective staffs.
- Monitor policy and legislative developments affecting Sage’s business, and effectively anticipate and address such policy and legislative developments with strong and well-coordinated advocacy strategies drawing on Sage’s broad stakeholder relationships and thoughtful policy and legislative development and advocacy.
- Deploy state-of-the-art stakeholder engagement strategies for informing key Sage constituencies and drawing their support for policy issues and opportunities.
- Manage functional budget.
- Ensure compliance with federal requirements around lobbying, political giving, and disclosure.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, ability to identify issues and raise to key stakeholders in order to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs, and recommendations
- BS or BA degree required
- 15+ years of experience in government, government affairs, public affairs, or policy
- Experience managing and developing teams
- Effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment
- Exhibit acute political sensitivity
- Ability to work cross-functionally in an organization and partner with outside groups such as advocates and associations
- Advanced knowledge of legislative rules and procedures, legislative processes, and politics
- Possess a solid, broad comprehension of the U.S. health care system
- Ownership mentality who is not afraid to “roll up your sleeves” and demonstrate a diplomatic, intuitive, and mature presence
- Persuasively communicate complex concepts into concise and credible messages, with a proven track record of delivering high volume and high-quality work
- Operate as an enterprise-wide leader
- Previous work history within the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industry a plus
- Must have demonstrated project-team orientation
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and is solution oriented
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills
- Embrace our core values: Put People First, Do Big, Be Accountable, Grow through Learning and Change, and Work Fun
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage
Number of Openings:
#Biotechnology #Careers #ThisIsSage
All Sage new hires will be required to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or, if not, that they are legally entitled to an accommodation due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and Sage will consider, among other things, whether the proposed accommodation would create an undue hardship.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
We value our relationships with professional recruitment firms. To protect the interests of all parties, and given the large volume of inquiries received from third-party placement agencies, we are not able to respond to all agency inquiries. We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of a signed agreement between our company and a placement agency does not create an implied obligation and, if an unsolicited candidate represented by a placement agency is hired, we are not obligated to pay a fee. Only approved recruitment firms will be allowed to provide services to Sage Therapeutics, Inc.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-11-07