Vice President, Government and Community Relations (Alaska /Hawaii / NW U.S. / Western Canada)
The Vice President of Government and Community Relations creates and leads strategic programs to achieve the desired outcomes for legislative and regulatory policy priorities and local community relations in Alaska and Hawaii. The position also provides leadership with issues management in the N.W. U.S. and Western Canada.
- Provides input to the SVP on overall strategic direction, long- and short-term direction on government affairs priorities and initiatives in North America.
- Develop and lead strategic advocacy programs on emerging or pending legislative policy proposals or administrative regulations that impact CLIA members’ license to operate and/or grow sustainably.
- Create and lead policymaker and policy influencer outreach programs to educate stakeholders on the industry’s best practices, operational excellence, and promote a positive image of the cruise industry.
- Represent CLIA members before elected officials at the federal, state, and local levels to advance the association’s positions on legislative policy.
- Represent CLIA at public events including statewide and local business organizations.
- Respond to media requests consistent with CLIA approved messaging.
- Earn the confidence of cruise line government affairs leaders, conducting strategy and update meetings as needed with the SVP, and provide proactive updates to the CLIA Government Affairs Committee as warranted by emerging issues and legislative developments.
- Work closely with leaders in the Maritime Policy Department, Strategic Communications and other CLIA departments to ensure a coordinated and holistic approach to advocacy that fully leverages the resources of CLIA to achieve goals.
- Support strategic cruise ports program, in coordination with other CLIA functions, that effectively address priority issues at specific ports that ensures CLIA members’ license to operate and grow sustainably.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Senior Director of Community Relations & Public Affairs in Alaska, helping to maintain a culture that is proactive, forward-looking, and drives for results.
- Develop briefs and strategic messaging on legislative policy priorities for use in meetings with policymakers and policy influencers.
- Support the SVP, by providing government affairs updates, briefs, and presentations necessary on Alaska and Hawaii issues for the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Provide briefs and issue updates to Cruise Council, Government Affairs Committee, and Operations & Technical Committee.
- Organize and direct lobbyist activity in Alaska & Hawaii.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-26