Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Government Relations
American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) is looking for a knowledgeable and experienced Vice President, Government Relations to join our team. AFPM is a leading trade association representing the high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life, from paints to plastics, space suits to solar panels, and medicines to mobile phones.
The Vice President, Government Relations will lead the AFPM federal government relations team tasked with developing and executing AFPM’s legislative and political strategies to support AFPM’s policy objectives. A successful candidate will participate in the development, implementation, and management of the organization’s federal legislative strategies and programs and serve as one of the Association’s lobbyists before the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch.
This is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Senior Vice President, Government Relations & Policy.
The Vice President, Government Relations:
- Develops and leads an energetic federal government relations team.
- Develops and leads lobbying strategy and execution to advance AFPM’s policy objectives.
- Drives consensus among AFPM member companies on policy and strategy.
- Initiates and maintains effective working relationships with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, Congressional Committees, Executive Branch officials and their staff.
- Participates in, develops, and leads coalition activities in support of AFPM objectives.
- Identifies emerging legislative issues and trends impacting AFPM member companies.
- Produces high-quality Congressional testimony, comments, presentations, and other advocacy materials.
- Collaborates with state affairs, regulatory, and communications teams to provide guidance and ensure alignment on AFPM policy and strategy.
- Assists in managing AFPM PAC.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Vice President, Government Relations & Policy
- Bachelor’s degree in government relations related field, or equivalent experience. JD preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working with energy and legislative issues in a related association, industry, or congressional office.
- Demonstrated track record of effective management experience strongly preferred.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the policy, politics, and press of an issue and translate strategy into action.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and carry out multiple assignments to achieve multiple objectives.
- Excellent work ethic and an ability to work well in a team environment.
Job posted: 2022-11-18