Vice President, Government Relations
Responsible for representational and advocacy efforts on behalf of the cable industry with assigned House and Senate offices.
Primary Job Duties/Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Advance NCTA’s legislative agenda on Capitol Hill.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs.
- Communicate NCTA’s priorities effectively on the Hill and to other stakeholders and interested parties.
- Work collaboratively with NCTA’s internal advocates, external consultants, and other allies.
- Work closely with member companies, e.g., make introductions, coordinate and report out on Hill meetings, share information, and understand their business models and policy positions.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with assigned congressional offices, NCTA’s government relations team, and member companies to provide progress reports, breaking news, predictions, and hypotheses.
- Engage in a range of advocacy activities related to assigned members, caucuses, and issues to further the formation and implementation of NCTA’s legislative strategies.
- Participate in NCTA policy and legislative strategy working groups.
- Manage preparation of advocacy materials including one pagers, talking points, infographics, letters, press statements, opeds, and action alerts.
- Coordinate departmental preparation for hearings and markups and report out on same as needed.
- Monitor House and Senate activity in Committees and on the floor as needed.
- Prepare weekly reports and updates as needed.
- Build network on and off the Hill.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 6 years combined full-time employment on the Hill, in the White House, in an Executive Branch agency, at the FCC or FTC, with a public interest organization or government relations firm (required). (Applicants with less experience may be considered for a Director position).
- Strong working knowledge of the legislative process (required), and experience working in or with both the House and Senate (preferred).
- Familiarity with communications and technology issues important to communities of color (preferred).
- Familiarity with the use of social media and coalitions to advance public policy goals (preferred).
- Prior experience working on cable, communications, and technology issues (preferred).
- Familiarity with the FCC, FTC, NTIA, and/or DHS (preferred).
- Other required qualifications:
- A strong sense of teamwork and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated success in developing strong collaborative relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and interested parties.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including an ease in communicating complex concepts in a clear effective way for a general audience.
- Recognized ability to work autonomously, yet cooperatively, in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and meet multiple deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and discretion.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word for Windows and familiarity with Box, SalesForce, Excel, PowerPoint, and Keynote.
Only applicants who submit a cover letter and resume will be considered.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-31