PacificSource Health Plans
The Vice President, Government Relations leads PacificSource’s public policy, government affairs and advocacy activities. Internally, the position works with Senior Executive leadership to develop and direct the company’s overarching strategy, determine goals to achieve the strategy, and translate the company’s goals into advocacy plans that are regionally informed, yet consistent across the enterprise. Externally, this role positions PacificSource as a key leader on public policy and governmental affairs issues that are relevant to PacificSource’s vision, mission and goals. This role, while overseeing and guiding advocacy efforts across all regions, will include a greater degree of direct advocacy engagement in Oregon. In addition, this leader will cultivate and maintain relationships with policymakers at the federal level. The Vice President, Government Relations leads the Government Relations department, working closely with the regional Vice Presidents in all markets. This leader influences and represents PacificSource with high-level government officials, political leaders, influential organizations and other relevant thought leaders to realize PacificSource’s interests in the public policy arena. In addition, this leader works closely with the community strategy team on community level strategy and initiatives.
- Identify, monitor and develop advocacy approach pertaining to federal legislative and regulatory actions that impact PacificSource across lines of business.
- Oversee the identification and monitoring of state legislative and regulatory actions that impact PacificSource across lines of business.
- Conduct briefings, meetings, forums and technical updates for policymakers and regulators on issues of concern to PacificSource.
- Maintain expertise on industry-specific issues that are addressed across all lines of business (commercial, Medicaid, Medicare Advantage) as well as broad health policy, healthcare quality and healthcare financing issues.
- Identify and maintain strategic relationships with industry colleagues, coalition partners, professional societies, business leaders and other key groups, across all regions in order to provide leadership and collaboration around areas of shared interest and concern.
- Plan, budget and direct PacificSource’s Government Relations team across the enterprise.
- Work with regional Vice Presidents and regional Government Relations Managers to identify, review and recommend contract lobbyists, as needed. Provide direction and oversight to regional Government Relations Managers in identifying priorities, objectives and evaluating the performance of the contracted lobbyist(s) in each state, as needed.
- Guide and oversee Government Relations team to identify key policymakers for strategic relationship development, including participating in site visits, making political contributions and other activities.
- Develop and foster strategic relationships with federal policymakers, including visits in district and in Washington D.C.
- Work with Senior Leadership to develop and deploy strategic advocacy priorities and initiatives at the federal and state level.
- Work with finance to ensure compliance with state lobbying and political contributions laws and regulations.
- Work with a variety of operational and business departments including, but not limited to legal and compliance, health services, provider network and actuarial to ensure that policy impact is fully assessed and PacificSource interests can be adequately communicated.
- Assist internal teams in understanding the operational implications of new legislation.
- Extensive experience in healthcare policy
- Strong skills in strategy development and deployment
- Strong management skills
- Superlative communication skills: both written and verbal
- Exceptional skills in building long-term collaborative relationships that build strategic goals of PacificSource
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong personal integrity
- Knowledge and ability in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
A minimum of 5 years of experience in health-related public policy and advocacy
A minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree required, a Master’s Degree preferred in one of the following or related fields: Public or Healthcare Administration, Public Policy, Communications, Public Health, Business or; or Juris Doctor (JD)
- Building Organizational Talent
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Cultivating Networks
- Customer Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
- Establishing Strategic Direction
- Leading Change
- Optimizing Diversity
- Passion for Results
- We are committed to doing the right thing.
- We are one team working toward a common goal.
- We are each responsible for our customers’ experience.
- We practice open communication at all levels of the company to foster individual, team and company growth.
- We actively participate in efforts to improve our communities-internal and external.
- We encourage creativity, innovation, continuous improvement, and the pursuit of excellence.
Environment: Work inside in a general office setting with ergonomically configured equipment. Travel is required as necessary.
Physical Requirements: Stoop and bend. Sit and/or stand for extended periods of time while performing core job functions. Repetitive motions to include typing, sorting and filing. Light lifting and carrying of files and business materials. Ability to read and comprehend both written and spoken English. Communicate clearly and effectively.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position and is subject to change. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Employment remains AT-WILL at all times.
PacificSource is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or age
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 13, 2017