Vice President of Government Relations and Advocacy
ZERO, recognized by the Nonprofit Times as one of the “50 best Nonprofits to Work For” over the last seven years, seeks a dynamic Vice President of Government Relations and Advocacy to join our award-winning team. The ideal candidate will be a proven and selfless leader and team player with cause-driven passion and the business acumen to be part of a cross-functional management team taking the organization to new heights. This position will manage all aspects of creating, implementing, and executing ZERO’s policy platform and comprehensive policy event and issue campaign plans. The position reports directly to the CEO.
ZERO’s policy platform objectives include:
- Protecting and growing federal dollars for prostate cancer research with a specific focus on the Prostate Cancer Research Program at the Department of Defense
- Enhance patient outcomes by advancing access to care issues aimed at saving lives and reducing the pain and suffering due to prostate cancer which includes a state mandate campaign focused on rapidly expanding screening for the disease in as many states as possible and a veterans and VA initiative to generate awareness and increase treatment options within the VA system
- Improve accountability of federal research and awareness dollars including leading a dialogue among federal agencies and task forces as well as growing the CDC budget for prostate cancer awareness among high-risk communities
The Vice President of Government Relations and Advocacy will lead the ZERO Prostate Cancer Summit, our premier advocacy and education annual event, as well as recruit, cultivate, and train a thriving national network of grassroots advocates to meet with key elected officials to protect and grow prostate cancer research funding and expand access to care. The VP will work closely with the VP of Patient Programs and Education and coordinate successful execution of the Summit to best educate advocates and strengthen the organization’s impact on making prostate cancer a national priority.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for building and maintaining partnerships and alliances with other like-minded organizations and convene stakeholder meetings on prostate cancer policy issues, represent ZERO in the media, health and cancer policy coalitions, and plan and attend state advocacy events as needed to advance our policy platform.
The responsibilities also include the development of support materials, development of testimony and correspondence, and preparation for Hill meetings. The VP will also manage a highly successful and powerful hired firm and an expert consultant on veterans and prostate cancer issues.
Further, the position will monitor legislative and regulatory issues of concern to ZERO and apprises appropriate ZERO staffers and top stakeholders of emerging concerns and opportunities.
Other Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and evolve ZERO’s public policy platform
- Work closely with ZERO’s CDO and development team to educate and cover updates on government relations, advocacy, and policy to our external supporters
- Plan and execute a government relations strategy to protect and increase federal research funding for prostate cancer at the Prostate Cancer Research Program at the DOD by utilizing various tactics including ZERO’s advocacy events, coalition-building to pressure Members of Congress to sign Dear Colleague letters supporting research and access to care issues, letter writing campaigns, and personal meetings with elected officials
- Seek out and evaluate policy and advocacy opportunities and threats to ZERO’s mission to end prostate cancer and impact on patient quality of care and diagnosis and treatment outcomes
- Educate and inform ZERO staff and its stakeholders about governmental and policy developments in their impacts on the prostate cancer community and the general healthcare community
- Travel as needed to in-state advocacy events, and conferences and run/walks
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Three to five years of experience in nonprofit government relations and patient advocacy field (healthcare nonprofit preferred) or experience on Capitol Hill helping form healthcare public policy
- Exceptional at building relationships with government officials and their staff
- Media savvy and excellent verbal and written communication skills including poised public speaking and presentation acumen
- Demonstrated experience in building advocacy support toward successful policy change
- Outstanding humble team player who craves to make impact with a high capacity collaborate and cooperate with teammates across the organization
ZERO is recognized as a superior workplace because of its award-winning culture. We provide excellent benefits including employer paid health, and dental and life insurance. When we’re not working remotely, our office is metro accessible.
Interested individuals should email their resume, cover letter, references and salary requirement to HR@zerocancer.org. Please include VP of Government Relations and Advocacy in the subject line.
Job posted: 2020-06-03