Vice President, Government Relations And International Programs
The Aluminum Association
The Aluminum Association (TAA), based in Arlington, VA is searching for a Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs. Established in 1933, TAA is the trade association for the North American aluminum industry and has a $7.5M budget. The Aluminum Association is the industry’s leading voice in Washington, D.C., providing global standards, industry statistics, trade policy and expert knowledge to member companies and policy makers nationwide. Highly engaged in public policy and technical forums, the Association is committed to advancing aluminum as the sustainable metal of choice around the world.
This role, which reports to the President & CEO will lead the Government Relations and International Programs Department.
Serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs provides strategic leadership for advancing the mission and vision of the Association. Manages the Association’s Government Relations department and lead policy development, government relations strategy, and lobbying activity in support of aluminum industry priorities. Leads the Association’s engagement with international organizations that impact the U.S. aluminum industry. Works with membership in developing policy positions and strategies; provides leadership in working with industry on compliance issues, coordinates industry response on policy and advocacy priorities.
Responsibilities of Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs
- Serves as chief point of contact to all relevant agencies, Congress, and key stakeholders to monitor policies, develop policy strategy, and deliver industry messages and actions.
- Develops key policy positions with membership and disseminates timely and relevant analysis on public policy issues affecting the industry.
- Directly advocates with U.S. policymakers and coordinates industry response to government stakeholders, including federal agencies and Congress. (E.g., includes coordination with legal counsel, meetings, comments, and interaction between member companies and government representatives.)
- Acts as Staff Executive and leadership for selected association committees and working groups to facilitate discussion, positions, and actions, as appropriate, on current or prospective issues affecting the industry. Staff Executive for Government Affairs Committee, Sustainability Advisory Council and Political Action Committee. Serves as liaison on other Association committees and divisions on trade policy issues.
- Team leader for Government Relations program and department. Leadership for internal and external resources supporting policy and advocacy initiatives. Aligns staff and external resources against desired outcomes to ensure aligned goals and communication of all policy positions – including trade, energy, infrastructure, and workforce policy issues.
- Serves as Association representative to external committees, coalitions and working groups on key policy issues.
- Collaborates with VP of External Affairs and Industry Relations and VP of Market Growth and Development to promote sustainability initiatives that grow markets for aluminum.
- Identifies, implements, and directs opportunities for testimony, briefings, and meetings in not only Congress but federal agencies and other bodies as well; directs and oversees the Association’s government relations and policy communications.
- Works with consultants and outside vendors to carry out trade and other policy actions as directed by the Executive Committee and the Board. Manages external lobbying consultants, trade activities related to Government Relations.
- Manages team responsible for EH&S industry compliance, government regulations affecting the industry and sustainability initiatives.
- Lead the association’s political programs, including the Aluminum Political Action Committee. Develop and execute effective fundraising campaigns; manage lobbyists; coordinate with Vice President of Administration to maintain financial oversight of the Aluminum PAC; develop PAC giving strategies; create and maintain relationships with PAC members and elected officials; build and maintain effective relationships with fundraisers. Represent the Aluminum Association at political fundraisers and events.
- Develops and manages the approved budget for all activities and staff related to the formal Government Affairs Program for the Association and its membership.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as appropriate or as requested.
Required Qualifications – Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs
- Master’s Degree in Trade Policy, International Relations, Government Affairs, or related discipline.
- 10 -15 years’ experience in trade policy or government/international affairs. Experience with a relevant Federal or state agency is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to track, analyze, synthesize, and report on trade policy developments in the regulatory and legislative arenas.
- Proven track record of working in teams as well as autonomously, and leading teams (staff and constituents) on specific domestic and international projects.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver presentations to domestic and international association meetings, such as the Chinese and International Aluminum Associations, the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, and staff committees and divisions.
- Knowledge of or experience with metals or materials manufacturing industries and/or global trade and WTO processes a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with competing priorities and exercise sound judgment in evaluating such situations and issues.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
What Can the Aluminum Association Offer to the Right Candidate?
- The Aluminum Association is a collaborative organization with a high degree of communication, trust, and mutual respect among employees. Your colleagues are professional and committed to their work; they are respectful and work well together as a team.
- This is a highly visible position that will allow you to interact with senior industry professionals, including members as at our spring and annual meeting.
- We have a light and modern workplace within a very nice building in Crystal City, close to metro, VRE, bus stops, and a range of restaurants and eateries. Amazon’s new offices will be in our neighborhood.
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending account, Paid Parking, 401k, 10 paid holidays, 5 optional paid time off holidays, 15 days’ vacation in year one with added vacation days with years of service and more.
How to Apply for the Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs:
Simply email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Vice President, Government Relations and International Programs” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email with your salary requirements.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
Job posted: 2021-07-12