Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President of Industry Relations
Summary: The VP of Industry Relations is responsible for the corporate outreach and engagement on behalf of the U.S. pork industry. This includes enhancing relationships across a wide spectrum of industry influencers including – managing our shareholder outreach efforts; engaging with trade associations; connecting the industry to the pork supply chain including food service, retail, packers and processors. This position leads the industry’s efforts to educate and inform key decision makers on the impacts their decisions will have on our producer members as well as their businesses.
Ultimately this position will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive outreach and engagement strategy on behalf of the US pork industry to deliver information and resources to key decision makers. As part of that strategy this position is responsible for managing the Packer-Processors Industry Council (PPIC), will represent the pork industry’s efforts on responsible pork production with other food industry associations and often serves as spokesperson on industry issues relating to supply chain management. This position also assists with crisis preparedness and response for industry issues relating to animal welfare and on farm production practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive outreach and engagement strategy on behalf of the US pork industry. Designed specifically to:
- Help deliver information and resources to decision makers about our industry
- Provide guidance and ultimately influence their decisions that may the impact on the industry
- Establish and nurture long term corporate relationships
- Create and support alignment between NPPC Strategic Investment Partners (SIP) and the end-user community
- Participate in and coordinate frequent meetings with end-user organizations in order to foster and maintain strong and effective partnerships
- Enhance NPPC’s presence by attending and speaking at industry conferences, meetings and events
- Build, develop and lead a team of people to ensure the U.S. pork industry is represented in the decisions that will impact our members.
- Work with the communications team to assist during crisis preparedness and response on industry relations
- Create and foster relationships with relevant trade associations.
- Develops and maintains department budget
- Effectively communicate strategy and key deliverables with the NPPC Board of Directors
- Develops and maintains department budget
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Being an effective communicator and reliable team leader is a must
- Requires a strong knowledge of marketing and communications techniques
- Thorough understanding of Retail, Foodservice, and Packing industries
- Ability to manage and lead a team that reaches out to other corporations and trade associations
- Proven sales history
- Ability to motivate and influence different segments to a common purpose
- Strong oral, written, and telephone communication skills
- The position requires a self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Strong personal standards of excellence, ethics, and integrity
- Must be able to troubleshoot problems, identify solutions and be open to change
- Be able identify risks, prepare contingency and recovery plans, and manage resources during crisis
- Ability to resolve conflict between individuals
- Must have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and database operations or CRM system general operation
Travel: Requires travel (60%) to meet with members, prospects, attend industry meetings, and represent NPPC at other functions as directed by supervisor. Individual must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and current passport.
Education and/or Experience: Equivalent of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Animal Science, Agriculture Business or related applicable degree is required. Related experience will also be evaluated. Minimum of 10+ years of experience in sales, marketing, or corporate relations is required and 5 years of management of staff.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Requires light physical effort such as stooping and bending, and occasional lifting of lightweight objects (up to 50 pounds).
Location: The position is based out of NPPC Urbandale, IA office and is not eligible for remote work.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-27