Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President of Marketing & Communications
OBJECTIVE: Support COSI’s mission by providing leadership and visionary oversight of all marketing and communications needs for the institution. This position is instrumental in the evolution and stewardship of the beloved COSI brand to position the organization for continued growth and expansion as articulated in the COSI 5.0 Strategic Plan and the institutions’ vision beyond 2022. Working directly with the President and CEO and the Executive Leadership Team, this position oversees a team of internal staff and external partners who work together to elevate the COSI brand, tell the compelling COSI story, direct the Membership department and drive revenue through ticket/membership sales and public funds.
Considering the lasting impact of the global pandemic, this leader needs to see change as an opportunity rather than a problem, readily bring ideas and solutions forward, and is comfortable working with a metrics-driven mindset. This leader must understand how to integrate brand, marketing, communications and digital strategies to create a cohesive consumer experience, support a thriving membership program and elevate the COSI brand and drive ticket/membership sales.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field required; Master’s degree preferred. 15+ years of experience in developing and implementing brand and marketing strategies required; knowledge of membership-based organizations; experience leading and empowering teams is essential. Candidate must possess strong organizational, communication, research, and problem-solving skills, and is able to collaborate and partner with stakeholders across the institution. The ideal candidate is a superior leader, energetic, big thinker, nimble and results-oriented. Previous experience with museums not required; agency or sales background helpful.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
- Develop a local, state and national marketing and communication strategy to support the current and future growth of COSI. Develop the COSI brand story and oversee strategy, key messages and differentiators for COSI to enhance brand awareness and loyalty in target markets and industries.
- Lead development of both local and national public relations strategies.
- Develop strategies and processes to collect and meaningfully share the many inspiring stories around COSI.
- Cultivate content creation and deploy consistently across platforms.
- Lead a social media strategy campaign to engage COSI loyalists, expand COSI’s followers and recruit potential visitors of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Lead and direct all marketing and communications needs for the institution including: Exhibits, Education and Community Programs and media products.
- Working with the VP of Exhibits and Operations to ensure all exhibitions have a marketing and communications plan commensurate with financial goals;
- Working with the VP of Exhibits and Operations and the VP of External Affairs and Strategic Partnerships, create a strategy to support marketing and communications needs for signature education and community impact programs such as COSI Science Festival; COSI Kits; Color of Science; and COSI on Wheels;
- Working with the President and CEO and the Senior Director of Creative Media, create a strategy and roll out plan to support increase awareness of creative media products such as the EMMYTM nominated program: QED with Dr. B (the WOSU-PBS – COSI prime time television show); and the EMMYTM nominated animated series Dr. B in 3.
- Lead the brand team – Provide direction to ensure alignment of the team’s efforts to business goals and secure/develop talent the brand team needs to achieve COSI’s goals.
- Lead the planning, impact and alignment of strategic marketing and communications to advance COSI’s strategic objectives, including ticket/membership sales.
- Deploy annual marketing plan with strong collaboration from internal and external partners.
- Measure, track and optimize all communications and marketing programs to drive revenue growth and brand loyalty.
- Implement marketing best practices and test new marketing methods and strategies to drive ticket/membership sales.
- Stay on top of branding and marketing trends inside and outside the tourism/cultural attraction industry.
- Working with the Executive Leadership Team, oversee and direct the COSI Membership Program strategy for the organization.
- Oversee COSI’s healthy Membership base ensuring engagement through digital and print communications;
- Develop and execute a growth plan for COSI’s Membership base;
- Working with the Executive Leadership Team, phase in new strategic initiatives for COSI’s Membership Program;
- Working with the Director of Diversity and Equity, develop and implement new strategies to increase the level of COSI’s membership base to include more diverse audiences and communities;
- Develop and lead Membership Team to support overall Membership Program;
- Track and share analytics of COSI’s Membership.
- Ensure achievement of growth and revenue goals – leverage insights from data to develop impactful, cost-effective strategies to sell tickets and memberships to COSI.
- Ensure optimization digital marketing and the digital experience to increase individual ticket and membership sales.
- Develop multi-faceted strategy to targeted novel audiences and segmented consumers.
- Oversee the development of campaigns for permanent and traveling exhibits.
- Working with the Executive Leadership Team, nurture community and business partnerships to advance COSI’s goals.
ADDITIONAL QUALITIES: This position is instrumental in the evolution and stewardship of the beloved COSI brand to position the organization for continued growth and expansion as articulated in the COSI 5.0 Strategic Plan This position requires someone who:
- Is an assertive, proactive, self-starter;
- Is knowledgeable about brand, marketing and story-telling with a broad perspective on these functions;
- Can apply a forward-thinking diversity and equity lens to marketing strategies, to ensure that COSI has a diverse portfolio of inclusive marketing materials and assets.
- Is a risk-taker eager to drive change who enjoys experimenting with new strategies and tactics;
- Is data-driven and results-oriented;
- Can develop talent and inspire teams through their vision and passion;
- Is open to different points of view and enjoys collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve results;
- Brings a creative, can-do approach and fresh ideas to the table;
- Superior communicator who instills confidence in leadership, colleagues, partners, staff and other stakeholders;
- Has the gravitas to partner with COSI’s Executive Leadership Team to strategize brand and marketing to support the strategic plan;
- Values and appreciates the mission, history and future potential of COSI and is excited to make a big impact on the organization.
- Exemplify leadership for the entire COSI Team and community.
- Support general COSI operations through participation in meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as an example to other COSI Team Members and Volunteers in matters of appearance, attitude, and performance in a manner best serving COSI paid and Volunteer Team Members and Guests. In accordance with COSI’s Guest Services Strategy, and as opportunities present themselves, provide excellence in Guest Services by assuring Guest safety, using courtesy to drive each Guest interaction, by delivering the COSI show, and by keeping operations efficient.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-26