Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Founded in 1976, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF) is a non-profit organization focused on eliminating disparities within the global black community by developing leaders, informing public policy and educating the public. Our primary focus areas are education, public health, economic empowerment and the environment. Applicants may visit the web site at www.cbcfinc.org, to learn more information about CBCF programs and initiatives.
Reporting to the President and CEO and serving as the most senior marketing and communications leader, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications is a member of the senior management team and will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of all marketing, and communications strategies designed to protect, promote and build the identity and reputation of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Incorporated (CBCF). The Vice President will serve as a thought leader to the President to shape the future of the organization by providing innovative ideas and measurable results; and also contribute to CBCF’s organizational strategy to help grow and expand CBCF’s visibility and influence.
The Vice President will develop a world-class marketing strategy and communications strategy, building a plan for the CBCF and awareness around the work it undertakes to eliminate disparities in the global Black community. This leader will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations and marketing activities to drive the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership, while showcasing CBCF’s brand, impact and contributions.
- Reports to: President and CEO.
- Directly Supervises: one Director, Marketing and Communications; one Graphic Designer; and one Social Media Manager.
- Internal Relationships: Close coordination specifically with the Vice Presidents of Resource Development, Programs, Vice President of Events and the Senior Vice President of Center for Policy Analysis and Research/Leadership Institute.
- External Relationships: CBCF Board of Directors, CBCF Donors and Supporters, Executives and key staff of partnering organizations, and other stakeholders as defined by CBCF priorities.
Marketing and Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance CBCFs brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs and research across key stakeholder audiences.
- Develop and implement a strategic social media and engagement strategy in order to facilitate an effective CBCF presence across all mediums to include CBCF website, affiliated sites, blogs, electronic newsletters and all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube Smartphone Apps and other innovate technologies.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy which will allow CBCF leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including mainstream and minority media as well as key influencers in the academic, health and business communities.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the senior management team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and develop and execute strategies to support them.
- Develop platform strategy and lead the creation of all digital content to attract, engage and retain social followers. Own the CBCF’s online voice and presence to drive donations, encourage virtual and inperson event attendance and recruit fellows and interns.
- Oversee development of all CBCF print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including CBCF website and social media; manage relationship with associated vendors.
- Lead all earned, owned and paid social and digital strategy by creating an editorial calendar and playbook.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CBCF research, programs, special events, public announcements and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the department including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Develop and implement monitoring and tracking systems to ensure CBCF is able to monitor trends which may positively or negatively impact the CBCF and its stakeholders as well as the global Black community.
- Oversee design and visual imagery used in communications and marketing materials to ensure proper positioning of CBCF brand identity and reputation.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ACCURACY/ACCOUNTABILITY
Incumbent must communicate with stakeholders on a national and local level to positively influence the effectiveness of CBCF in achieving its objectives. The Vice President, Marketing and Communications must follow and adhere to federal, state and local ethics laws, as well as CBCF policies governing conduct, in addition to performing his/her duties in an ethical, professional and objective manner. Failure to comply may result in penalties for CBCF and the Vice President, Marketing and Communications.
Knowledge: A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or a related field of study is required. The candidate must have a minimum of 8 –10 years of communications and writing experience and skills dealing with diverse issues, managing high-profile principals; high performance teams; and compelling events. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of success in leading executive communications and managing marketing and communication campaigns in a corporate, agency, or nonprofit setting. The Vice President must be a confident, strategic thinker who can deliver and produce planned initiatives with maturity and professionalism. Incumbent will be extremely resourceful to get things done; and be flexible and highly responsive to business needs, opportunities and challenges. Prior Capitol Hill or corporate communications experience is strongly preferred. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent must perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Computer and Technical Proficiencies: Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Experience with Vocus media database and other Marketing and Communications software in addition to Smartsheet are a plus.
- Skills and Abilities: This position requires exceptional writing, editing, media relations, research and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including perfect grammar and composition rules required for creating, editing and proofreading materials. The candidate must be able to manage shifting short-term and long-term priorities at the same time. He or she must also possess excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multi-phased projects with precision and flexibility. Experience in managing high performance teams, high-profile events and/or conferences are required.
Additionally, the successful candidate must be skilled at influencing and engaging senior-level executives on marketing and communications goals; have a commitment to working at a mission—driven organization, confident decision-maker with sound judgment with an eye towards the most important drivers of success, self-starter and drives to achieve results. Ability to design team structures, division of labor, new systems and work flows.
- Physical Requirements: The candidate must be able to work in a fast paced environment with demanding deadline schedules, long hours, some evenings and weekends during peak times. The candidate must work well under pressure, exercising tact and diplomacy while producing favorable results.
CBCF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, 403(b), paid vacation and sick time. Qualified applicants only must forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references, until position is filled, using CBCF’s online employment portal. No phone calls accepted.
Job posted: 2020-10-07