Vice President of Marketing & Communications
About College Track
College Track is a comprehensive college completion program that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college. From ninth grade through college graduation, our 10-year program removes the academic, financial, and social-emotional barriers that prevent low-income and first-generation students from earning their college degree. In 1997, we started with 25 students in East Palo Alto, and today, we have 12 centers located in underserved communities across California, Colorado, Louisiana, and the D.C. Metro Area with more than 3,000 students on the path to social mobility.
To learn more, please visit www.collegetrack.org.
College Track students graduate from college at a rate that is more than double the national average for low-income and first-generation students. Six months out of college, 79% of College Track alumni are employed. For those 30 and over, 92% report earnings greater than their parents with wages on par with the national average. By helping our students maximize the value of their four-year college degree, which includes minimizing student loan debt, securing internships, and limiting the need to work while in college–we prepare them to succeed in the 21st century economy.
At College Track, our values drive the way we do our work, and we look for individuals who share our passion. We blend an entrepreneurial spirit with our nonprofit roots, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone’s contributions are valued and encouraged.
- COMMITMENT: We have an unwavering belief in our students.
- PASSION: We are dedicated to changing our nation’s college completion story.
- JOY: We create environments rich with smiles and laughter.
- AUTHENTICITY: We believe relationships matter.
- EXCELLENCE: Our students deserve nothing but the best.
This is a full-time position at our National Office in Oakland, California. In close partnership with the Chief Development & Marketing Officer, the Vice President of Marketing & Communications (VPMC) will lead College Track’s brand and communications strategies for external and internal communications. The VPMC will promote College Track to all internal and external stakeholders including full-time and part-time employees, students, families, philanthropists, school districts, community groups, college and corporate partners, and media outlets. This role reports to the Chief Development & Marketing Officer and will lead a team of Marketing and Communications Directors, as well as consultants.
College Track seeks candidates who are both creative and analytical, and possess extensive knowledge across an array of disciplines and platforms in the fields of marketing and communications. This role is responsible for increasing College Track’s brand awareness with existing and new external stakeholders, and increasing student recruitment and philanthropic opportunities.
College Track has grown at a rapid rate and will continue to grow in scale over the next four years—to a $40 million annual budget, 400 full-time and part-time staff, 5,000 students, 1400 alumni, and 13 centers in five regions nationwide. In the context of this rapid growth, the VPMC will lead an internal communications strategy that will create a culture of transparency and inclusion rooted in College Track’s core values.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
MarCom Department Management
- Inspire and motivate a growing MarCom team by providing appropriate professional development, recognition and coaching, and seeking collaboration and thought-partnership from the team.
- Define key performance indicators, and measure, track and report success of marketing and communications tactics, working in tandem with our Organizational Performance department.
- Lead the MarCom department’s strategic planning process, including annual budgeting, in conjunction with the org-wide annual planning process.
- Approve and manage contracts with vendors, including consultants, graphic designers, photographers, and content specialists.
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships with all departments across the organization and external partners.
MarCom Strategic Planning & Execution
- External MarCom:
- Lead College Track’s external brand and communications strategy to advance our mission on a National and Regional level.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan, informed by social justice and educational equity issues, to inspire current and potential external stakeholders to partner with College Track.
- Develop and maintain best-in-class external communications channels including, but not limited to, marketing collateral, website content, social media, newsletters, media outreach, and email campaigns.
- Collaborate with the Director of Philanthropic Initiatives to ensure the Partnerships Team leverages our National marketing and communications strategies and tactics to achieve annual fundraising goals.
- Internal MarCom:
- Create internal communications standards and best practices to ensure important, consistent, and timely information is conveyed across the organization.
- Leverage internal communications to create a vibrant culture where staff feel valued, appreciated, and informed, which, in turn, attracts and retains top tier, mission-driven talent.
- Project-manage and lead monthly All-Staff meetings and publish the monthly internal newsletter, by collaborating with department and project leads to create College Track branded, strategic content, consistent with internal best practices.
- Serve as the communications thought-partner for the organization’s leaders, project owners, and teammates.
Skills & Experience Required
First and foremost, the Vice President of Marketing & Communications must be deeply passionate about College Track’s Vision For Impact: to produce college graduates, who maximize their potential, become role models in the communities, and inspire others with our approach and results. Additionally, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Strong identification—personally and/or professionally—with our students’ life experiences and demonstrated commitment to social justice and educational equity.
- 10+ years of marketing, brand strategy, and communications experience, preferably in education or social justice on a national level.
- Expertise in digital marketing and social media campaigns, including the ability to leverage analytics to measure the effectiveness of marketing and communications strategies.
- Exceptional and inspiring writing and communications skills; passion for word play and editing, with a strong eye for design and art-direction.
- Proven management and team leadership experience in a fast-paced, high-volume, resource-constrained environment.
- Strong decision-making capabilities, able to make complex decisions, and manage through ambiguity.
- Prior management experience of at least three direct reports; and, proven track record of attracting and retaining top-tier talent.
- Superior project management skills, including the ability to lead others to manage work plans, timelines, and budgets; fastidious attention to detail.
- Metrics-driven, entrepreneurial, growth mindset that informs strategy and tactical work.
- Positive, proactive, solutions-oriented disposition with exceptional ability to collaborate with all levels of staff, across all departments in the organization.
- High level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence; skilled at giving and receiving constructive feedback to and from direct reports and peers.
- Proven ability to meet and maintain federal, state, and local guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree in marketing, communications, or related fields preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
College Track offers a competitive salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top of the market paid time off.
Please upload a PDF resume and thoughtful cover letter with your application. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
College Track works to remove barriers for first generation college students on their journey to college completion. Our commitment to removing barriers for first generation college students doesn’t stop when college ends. While we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, we especially encourage applicants who identify as first-generation college graduates to apply for open opportunities on staff.
College Track is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. College Track does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-21