Vice President, Office of Strategic Engagement
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA is seeking an experienced public policy professional to serve in ABA’s Office of Strategic Engagement (OSE), which is a division of the policy operation responsible for shaping and driving a portfolio of high-priority advocacy campaigns in key areas.
The OSE supports senior leadership in crafting ABA’s advocacy story, amplifying that story with membership, policymakers and the press, and delivering on the policy objectives contained in that story for the benefit of our members. The VP, OSE will work closely with the SVP, OSE, and a series of multidisciplinary ABA working groups drawn from representatives across ABA. The VP, OSE will be responsible for providing strategic direction and accountability for OSE-designated projects. The successful candidate will be an experienced public policy professional with a deep understanding of the policymaking process, and a track record of running issue-based public policy campaigns, ideally with experience in coalition-building. S/he must have a demonstrated leadership record of motivating teams and achieving results in a fast-paced, collaborative, creative, inclusive, bipartisan environment.
The VP, OSE will be responsible for day-to-day oversight and advancement of several issue-based, enterprise-wide public policy campaigns.
· Craft compelling advocacy narratives: The VP, OSE will work closely with subject matter experts throughout the organization to define and prioritize policy objectives. For key policy priorities, OSE will help facilitate internal deliberations on strategic direction, including use of data analytics, messaging, coalition building and member outreach in order to craft a compelling advocacy narrative and achieve the stated objective. The successful candidate will help create an environment of seamless coordination between ABA departments and drive a cohesive approach to the work product of the organization.
· Facilitate transparent and accountable work streams: As part of the process of facilitating effective cross-departmental project teams, the VP, OSE will create and execute a governance process to strengthen accountability and transparency regarding the work of those project teams, and progress toward priority advocacy objectives.
· Leverage ABA advocacy infrastructure: ABA has a comprehensive set of advocacy tools that must be efficiently and effectively deployed in pursuit of our policy objectives. As a membership organization, ABA’s priorities are our members’ priorities, so effective communication with our members in each OSE priority area is critical. The VP, OSE must ensure key membership constituencies are positioned effectively and supported with the information they need to maximize advocacy impact – both in everyday interactions with policymakers, and at our flagship advocacy events.
A minimum 12-15 years of related experience.
· 4-year degree.
· Exceptional interpersonal, communication and management skills.
· Experience running policy issue advocacy “campaigns” with a focus on collaboration and problem solving.
· Must take ownership and initiative in a fast-paced, tight-knit environment where flexibility, organization, and teamwork are essential.
· Strong project management skills to ensure timely execution of complex action plans.
· Congressional and/or Executive Branch experience.
· Membership organization experience.
· Familiarity with financial services issues strongly preferred.
Job posted: 2021-03-01