Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Policy
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks a motivated, intellectually adaptable individual to be our vice president, policy. This low-ego, self-aware leader will report to the senior vice president and serve on our executive team. If you are experienced in building collaborative environments and championing preeminence, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street might include: monitoring policy impact and helping a team make progress toward their goals; helping a policy director draw resources to deliver on a last-minute request from a major foundation; collaborating with executive team members to resolve specific barriers to the success of a project; and helping to craft a joint funding proposal between two policy shops.
Note: The R Street Institute is closed beginning Dec. 20, 2021. We will review applications for the position when we reopen on Jan. 3, 2022.
Other Aspects of the Role
The person holding this role will:
- Serve on and actively contribute to our senior leadership team
- Build morale and understanding of purpose across the organization
- Improve organizational processes to ensure independence and credibility
- Ensure the consistent modeling of organizational norms and values contributing to efforts to “build one R Street team.”
- Champion our policy efforts and serve as an external brand ambassador
- Partner with program staff to ensure alignment of policy strategies and activities of the organization’s overall strategy
- Help recruit and build preeminent policy teams
Skills and Qualifications
- Confirmed experience in leading senior staff and delivering outcomes on sophisticated projects
- Ability to communicate clear performance expectations and empower staff to get results
- Ability to connect staff with the mission, vision, values and goals of the organization
- Ability to balance and act on potentially opposing organizational priorities
- A dedication to working across teams and functions to produce high-quality, highly credible outputs, outcomes and impact
- A passion for, and experience in, the realm of public policy
- 5+ years of independent sector management
- 5+ years of senior organizational leadership experience
- 10+ years of people management experience, leading progressively larger teams
- No particular educational background is required: A record of achieving results is far more meaningful than credentials
- Aligned with our mission for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic, heterodox organization
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Home internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
Job posted: 2021-12-19