Vice President Policy & Government Relations
Proudly Farmers First®!
What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation and technology with the value driven mission of Family Farmers around the world?
About Farmers Business Network, Inc. (FBN®)
FBN® was created by farmers for farmers and is on a mission to power the prosperity of Family Farmers around the world. Our goal is to help family farmers maximize their farm’s profit potential for generations to come, helping to ensure the fundamental economic viability and sustainability of farms and rural communities.
We are a dynamic, and innovative AgTech company that offers competitive compensation and benefits and is backed by top investors, including Blackrock, Fidelity, GV, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek.
The FBN network has grown to cover more than 67 million acres of member farms in the U.S., Canada and Australia. Blending the best of Midwestern agricultural roots and Silicon Valley technology, the company has over 700 personnel and offices in San Carlos, CA., Chicago, IL, Sioux Falls, SD, a Canadian Headquarters in High River, Alberta and an Australian Headquarters in Perth.
Gradable, launched by FBN, provides new technology and services that facilitate the scoring, sourcing, and pricing of Low-Carbon Grain, making environmental transparency in the grain industry a reality now. Gradable enables comprehensive environmental transparency by tracking Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, while supporting a market for premium, environmentally-scored grain. Gradable also provides buying intelligence software that directly connects farmers with consumer packaged goods companies, animal feed providers, biofuel makers and the world’s other major grain buyers. Gradable CarbonTM, a groundbreaking new offering, empowers farmers to generate carbon credits, and gives them flexibility over when and where they sell them.
The VP Policy & Governmental Relations will provide executive leadership and direction in developing a legislative influence and engagement strategy at the federal, state/provincial and local-levels. The geographic scope spans current US, Canada and Australia markets, and future markets. This includes administrative officials, agencies and offices, legislative bodies, regulatory entities, trade and industry associations and coalitions.
In our highly regulated business sectors, we need a committed government relations leader who is a strong operator, experienced in building relationships, and executing major advocacy campaigns, coalition building, and policy formation.
The successful candidate is a strategic communicator who will coordinate the policy and engagement objectives of multiple business units touching on a wide array of products and services—crop protection, seed, biologicals, livestock, veterinary pharma, agronomy and data, crop marketing and merchandising, brokerage, sustainability, finance, and insurance. You must be forward-looking in order to anticipate regulatory and legislative opportunities and challenges for the business.
The role requires a high degree of intellectual curiosity, time management, and an ability to prioritize across a broad spectrum of topics impacting our customers—regulatory, farm policy, trade, antitrust, environmental, sustainability, labor, safety—just to name a few.
You will be respected as a trusted advisor by the Company’s senior leadership team. This position is a highly visible leadership role working most closely with the heads of the Gradable, Crop Marketing & Financial Services (CMFS) and Global Direct businesses, Legal, Regulatory, Marketing, Investor Relations (IR) and PR. The position will report to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer.
- Lead the development and implementation of legislative and regulatory policy, programs and strategic planning.
- Advocate for FBN positions and represent FBN interests to key stakeholders. Examples include:
- Generic product access for crop protection, traits and pharmaceuticals.
- Science-based policies that support our mission to power the prosperity of our family farmer customers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders, industry associations and other organizations. Take leadership roles, or delegate and ensure accountability, across these associations.
- Research, analyze and communicate government relations-related intelligence to interested and impacted business partners.
- Activate FBN farmer and employee network on key policy issues.
- Attend critical meetings or hearings and/or prepare the key personnel to represent FBN as necessary.
- Determine budget needed to support activity levels as outlined and agreed to in the strategic plan.
- Manage relationships with outside consultants and advisors.
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years of progressive success running and scaling a national/global government relations or advocacy team, and/or formulating and executing national legislative and government affairs strategies with demonstrated success — experience in agriculture is a must.
- A deep understanding of legislative and regulatory processes and effective public policy, political advocacy, public and industry affairs programs, coalition building and grassroots campaign management.
- Quantified examples of thought partnership that moved the needle in a regulated space. Past experience in farm bill advocacy preferred.
- Ability to value or monetize the investment in legislative and regulatory issue management and demonstrate ROI.
- An ability to see around the corner, analyze, and communicate trends, threats and opportunities that could impact the company and its businesses.
- Possess the following leadership competencies:
- Effective Communication—a gift for providing clarity from ambiguity and the ability to influence and persuade at all levels.
- Strategic Thinking—Combining deep understanding of FBN’s Farmers First mission with strategic prioritization of knowing when and where to lead or follow.
- Collaboration—a commitment for action through consensus.
- Organization & Planning—a focus on efficient and optimal assessment of opportunities, threats, and prioritization of that focus.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to influence and persuade at all levels.
- Extensive agricultural industry experience.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. JD preferred.
LOCATION, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This role has been categorized as a Remote position. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. If not based in Washington, D.C., this individual will need to spend a portion of their time traveling to and engaging with stakeholders in Washington D.C.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and an attractive benefits package that includes health, vision, and dental insurance.
Farmer’s Business Network, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and participates in U.S. Citizenship and Immigration’s E-Verify program.
© 2021 Farmer’s Business Network, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The sprout logo, “Farmers Business Network”, “FBN”, and “Farmers First” are registered trademarks or service marks of Farmer’s Business Network, Inc. “Gradable” and “Gradable Carbon” are trademarks of Gradable LLC.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-07