Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Policy – Health Security
AARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age. With a nationwide presence, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what matters most to the more than 100 million Americans 50-plus and their families: health security, financial stability and personal fulfillment. AARP also produces the nation’s largest circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP’s Policy, Research and International Affairs leads the development and communication of AARP’s public policies and, research and insights on the issues that matter to people 50-plus.
The Vice President, Policy – Health Security oversees and leads the policy research agenda to drive and support public policy priorities and advocacy and campaign positions. Leads the development of the organization’s strategic priorities and positions in key issue areas. Cultivates and maintains strategic relationships with thought leaders and influencers across industries and draws on deep subject matter expertise to identify key policy solutions that promote transformational social change. Collaborates with senior leadership in the development of long-term goals and strategic plans.
- Builds and supports a high-performing team including oversight of work products, performance management, recognition, and compensation (ongoing and annual).
- Sets vision and direction for PPI team’s policy research agenda, drawing on subject matter expertise and insights on current and emerging policy issues.
- Partners and collaborates with senior leadership and key internal stakeholders in the development of long-term goals and strategic plans.
- Leads organization-wide cross-functional teams executing organizational priorities, including those that incorporate policy change, community organizing, public education and/or implementation of social innovation.
- Represents the organization externally at key forums, meetings, advisory boards, and/or with media. Builds strategic relationships with thought leaders and influencers across industries.
- Identifies and implements opportunities for new products, services, and approaches to address social problems.
- Masters degree in Health Economics, Health Policy, Economics, Public Health, or a related field and 10+ years of experience in health research and analysis drawing from a variety of health care sectors including, but not limited to, federal programs, including Medicare and Medicaid; Doctorate is preferred.
- Expertise in design and application of complex quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Experience in being recognized as a health research and policy expert and thought leader.
- Demonstrated track record of leading and overseeing significant research projects with measurable results and impact.
- Experience in managing a team of health experts including analysts, senior advisors, and directors with the ability to coach, guide, and mentor staff that maximized impact and supported their growth and development.
- Experience in project development and management, including setting annual agenda for health team activities and overseeing departmental budget(s).
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Regular and reliable job attendance.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Exhibits respect and understanding of others to maintain professional relationships.
- Independent judgement and discretion requiring the employee to compare and evaluate various courses of conduct and make a decision (or recommend a decision be made) after various possibilities have been considered.
- In office/open office environment with the ability to work effectively surrounded by moderate noise.
Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA)
AARP observes Mondays and Fridays as telecommuting workdays, except for essential functions. Remote work and telecommuting can only be done within the United States and its territories.
Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-29