Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Programs
Join a team that is making a difference!
Fact-based journalism is under unprecedented attack at a time when a free, independent news media has never been more important. The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) works to ensure that the cornerstone of healthy democracies – reliable, trustworthy news – stays strong for generations to come. We give journalists the support and tools they need to do their jobs better. Through our work, journalists are enhancing news coverage and connecting more deeply with their audiences. ICFJ’s network is truly international – in the past five years alone, we have worked with 132,000 journalists from 173 countries. Our programs have impact: Stories produced by our participants have led to the fall of corrupt governments, promoted better laws and made communities safer and healthier.
Reports to: President
Supervise: Senior Program Directors
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: Starting at $156,000
Location: This position will be based in Washington DC. ICFJ offers a flexible hybrid-remote work policy
ICFJ is seeking a Vice President of Programs who will help guide the strategic direction of ICFJ, and ensure the organization consistently sets the industry standard for innovation and quality. They will oversee staff managing all of ICFJ’s ongoing programs (as many as 70 per year), developing an overall vision that includes programmatic areas of emphasis and geographic priorities. They will also directly manage some key programs. Successful candidates are out-of-the box thinkers who understand journalism and the media landscape. The role requires creative leadership combined with strong organizational, people and project management skills. The Vice President of Programs also oversees ICFJ’s efforts to ensure that the organization’s work is impactful and demonstrates effectiveness on a global scale. In collaboration with ICFJ’s President and senior leadership, the Vice President of Programs will help to set priorities for other areas of the organization, including new project development, budgeting and general management.
Joining a creative, dynamic and fast-paced team, the Vice President of Programs will be tasked with the following:
· Overseeing the successful operation of all ICFJ programs and ensuring they meet the highest standards of quality and ethics.
· Working to identify new programmatic opportunities and creating new programs and projects within ICFJ’s mission.
· Supervising a diverse team of 20+ staff, plus global consultants.
· Ensuring the effective measurement of project successes, failures and strategies, and ensuring those lessons learned are incorporated into new and existing programs.
· Serving as a key liaison with news organizations, journalists and funders, including representing ICFJ in an official capacity at appropriate events and programs as well as board meetings.
· Carrying out specific programs in the United States and overseas as needed.
· Working with the ICFJ president and leadership team to coordinate proposal and fundraising development, budgeting and general management.
· Participating with the president and senior staff in personnel recruitment and organizational policies and processes.
· Carrying out additional tasks and special assignments as determined by the president.
· Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s (or equivalent experience) preferred
· A minimum of 15 years’ experience in journalism, media, non-profit management or related fields
· Understanding of the issues facing the journalism profession
· Experience working globally and willingness to travel internationally
· Ability to and demonstrated experience in effectively managing people and leading teams
· Leadership in project management and impact measurement
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
· Ability to work without direct supervision, and efficiently manage tasks and time
· Strong writing and communication skills
· Ability to work both independently without close oversight and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside ICFJ
· Proficiency in at least one language other than English preferred
Disclaimer: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only complete applications will be considered.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. ICFJ is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We intentionally reflect this commitment in our policies, our actions, and our work serving a global community of journalists. ICFJ is a non-profit classified as a 501 (c) (3) and as such receives funding from public and private grant funds and donations. Our funders are listed at the bottom of our Impact Report.
Job posted: 2022-09-12