Vice President, Public Affairs
Reports to the SVP of Public Affairs, responsible for government and community relations activities on behalf of the company. Responsible for the creation, development and advocacy of public policy in accordance with the mission and strategic direction of the organization at the International, Federal, State and Local levels. The VP of Public Affairs also serves as the primary contact with elected officials and other stakeholders to advance and protect CBI’s interests. Serves as lead in government relations issues related to cannabis policies in the US and primary representative coordinating with Canopy’s government and stakeholder outreach teams.
- Develops, executes and promotes the Company’s position in the communities in which it operates; identifies opportunities and integrates efforts to create opportunities to advance Constellation’s public policy agenda and community relations activities in various locations of the company.
- Serves as Public Affairs lead on all state-based economic development programs which contribute to the company’s bottom line.
- Establishes, maintains and supports positive working relationships governmental, community, trade, industry, private and public sectors.
- Develops opportunities to coordinate and integrate assets that achieve collective strategic goals across the company’s functions in Total Beverage Alcohol.
- Leads Public Affairs efforts with legal team to develop and advance a responsible regulatory framework for the emerging cannabis industry and CBI’s investment in Canopy.
- Works cross-functionally across all aspects of the business on major legislative, regulatory and political issues which impact CBI.
- Works with team in Mexico to assure we are advocating for policies important to CBI in both the US and Mexico, aligning activities to support the business.
- Leads Public Affairs relationship with Constellation Venture partners to advance, protect and support their business and demonstrate our investment in the next generation of entrepreneurs in our industry.
- Develops and executes Constellation’s PAC strategy, events and communications; ensures compliance with legal and finance teams and manages PAC team outreach, PAC match, tracking and execution.
- Extends Constellation’s visibility and impact through participation in trade associations, local/national community groups and other organizations.
- Coordinates events related to government and community relations that expand the visibility and awareness of Constellation’s values both internally and externally.
- Managing and directing outside contracts and compliance with outside counsel, associations and public sponsorships.
- Supports SVP in oversight of other team members, specific budget items and assisting with internal flow of communication within the department.
- Provides support to SVP in developing, managing and maintaining the departmental budget.
Core Competencies to be Successful:
- Knowledge and understanding of Constellation, the beverage alcohol industry, and its issues.
- Ability to work with all levels at Constellation and its Constellation companies.
- A proven track record of success in delivering results through effective leadership in a government relations and public relations role.
- Ability to successfully represent Company with elected officials, critical community and industry groups.
- A proven track record of having built and leveraged relationships of strong trust, respect and understanding with key stakeholders, particularly in the public sector.
- Singularly results focused – a strong and hands-on action orientation towards achieving goals – known to have a knack for getting things done.
- A proactive, entrepreneurial and relatively autonomous style consistent with taking initiative and driving hard to complete objectives.
- Excellent project management, organization, and communication skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus 10-15+ years’ experience in Public Relations, Public Affairs, Political Science, Communication or related fields.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work with people at all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated superior communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and multitask for periods of time.
- Proven ability to serve as liaison with elected officials, critical community and industry groups.
- Ability to identify and implement suitable corporate community programs on behalf of Company and to advise business units on similar activities.
- Demonstrated experience or ability in public speaking, project management, and excellent. organization and communication skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
ADA Physical/Mental/Workplace Requirements:
- Occasional lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Sitting, working at desk/personal computer for extended periods of time.
- Primary work environment is professional corporate office.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-25