Vice President, Public Affairs
H+K Strategies is searching for a talented Vice President, Public Affairs to join our team based in Washington, DC. This is a unique opportunity to grow as a communications professional and public affairs specialist by working across a diverse portfolio of influential clients within a dynamic, global agency.
The ideal candidate will have deep public affairs expertise and connectivity with influential contacts within the policy, regulatory and industry areas required. This position requires a leader who will bring a proven track record of success developing multidisciplinary campaigns, earned media expertise and a client-obsessed mindset to deliver results and superior client service.
Here’s What You’ll Be Doing
- Leveraging top-tier media relationships to drive successful earned media outcomes for clients
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with client contacts
- Providing strategic recommendations and sound counsel, serving client teams as a trusted advisor
- Guiding clients, successfully navigating their businesses through policy and regulatory challenges
- Providing leadership support, collaboration and creativity to a geographically diverse team
- Working closely with H+K team members and key client contacts, ensuring high quality and precision on client deliverables
- Managing junior team members, providing support, inspiration and mentorship to help them grow and be their professional best
- Contributing creativity, passion and expertise to an entrepreneurial team environment where everyone’s voice is heard, highly valued and rewarded
What else is in it for you?
- Competitive benefits package—including healthy vacation allotment, 401(k) matching, medical/dental/vision support), fitness reimbursement, your birthday off and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, impactful clients and innovative account teams
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
What You’ll Need To Get Here
- Undergraduate degree
- 8 – 10 years’ experience working in a communications role with a focus on federal technology and/or defense policies and regulations; agency experience preferred but not required
- Experience with B2B, B2G and enterprise software/technology communications and public affairs activations a plus
- Previous experience on Capitol Hill or within a federal agency (agencies) also preferred
- Proven track record of success developing and executing innovative, multidisciplinary campaign strategies
- Earned media expertise with the ability to develop media strategy and relevant, existing reporter relationships to successfully drive earned media results for clients
- Deep understanding of the public affairs media landscape and opportunities within that landscape
- Familiarity with, and contacts among, major figures in the policy, regulatory and industry areas required
- Experience with contract capture or protest campaigns, regulatory rule-making or rule changes, or legislative battles strongly desired
- People management experience with the proven ability to manage direct reports and client-facing teams; leadership skills with the ability to serve as a champion of company culture and resources
- Superb client service skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with executive client contacts
- Strong business acumen with the ability to manage budgets and ensure client programs are delivered on-time and on budget
- Business development experience including leading and contributing to the pursuit of new business opportunities and organic growth within existing client engagements
- Superb writing and editing skills across a variety of platforms with a keen eye for detail and love of the written word
- Passion, integrity and excitement for the H+K brand
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporation, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
Join our team and harness the power of the public.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23