Vice President, Public Policy and Advocacy
World Food Program USA is the recognized leader in America’s pursuit to end global hunger, inspiring individuals, businesses and policymakers to do everything in their power to create a zero hunger world.
Consistent with the mission of the United Nations World Food Programme, World Food Program USA works with U.S. policymakers, corporations, foundations and individuals to help provide financial and in-kind resources and develop policies needed to alleviate global hunger.
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Addressing global hunger and promoting food security is a high priority on the international agenda with unprecedented implications for U.S. policy, public support and corporate activity. WFP USA plays a key role, working with both Congress and the Executive Branch in shaping U.S. policy. The Vice President for Public Policy and Advocacy will be instrumental in advancing the organization’s mission and its impact. WFP assists more than 85 million people in over 80 countries each year. On any given day, WFP has 5,600 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those most in need. As the food assistance arm of the United Nations, WFP’s operations meet emergency needs and support economic and social development. WFP also provides the logistical support necessary to get food to the right people at the right time and the right place.
Serving as a key member of World Food Program USA’s Management team, which oversees the overall strategy, operations and integration of the organization’s activities, the Vice President for Public Policy and Advocacy will direct the organization’s policy and advocacy operation. In addition to leading, mentoring and directing the public policy team, key responsibilities include:
In collaboration with both WFP Global and the WFP USA President and CEO:
- Develop the organization’s public policy positions concerning legislative and, as needed, Executive Branch actions;
- Develop and implement the annual Public Policy work plan;
- Work closely with Director of Government Relations to serve as WFP USA liaison to Congressional offices and, as needed, relevant Executive Branch agencies.
Play a leadership role among the global food security community in shaping legislative and policy developments on Capitol Hill and, in consultation with WFP Global, the Executive Branch:
- Identifying opportunities to maintain and elevate WFP USA’s reputation as a credible partner and thought leader on issues related to global food security.
Build relationships, partnerships and coalitions with relevant advocacy organizations, NGOs, agricultural producer groups, private sector and other stakeholders in furtherance of our public policy objectives by:
- Engaging personally and with the Senior Management Team around agreed upon advocacy coalitions;
- Continuously identifying and engaging new partners and coalition members;
- Representing the organization at policy forums and meetings.
Oversee development of public policy messaging in collaboration with the Communications Team and WFP Global through:
- Formulation of key messages to policy stakeholders;
- Development of grassroots advocacy strategy and outreach activities;
- Directing preparation of documents pertaining to legislation, budget/appropriations, and federal programs/policies;
- Oversight of the development of policy communications materials and media relations in collaboration with the Communications team;
- Management of staff members and consultants to advance overall strategic organizational goals and objectives.
Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a BA; At least 10 years of experience working in the policy and legislative arena, preferably with experience around the challenges of global hunger
- Demonstrated knowledge or direct experience with U.S Government budgeting and appropriations process
- Extensive external relations experience with a demonstrated ability to represent the interests of an organization on policy issues with relevant stakeholder groups
- Superior communications and writing skills
- Management experience that can be applied effectively in a mature, but growing organization
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, VP Public Policy. No phone calls or agencies, please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2020-03-24