Vice President, Quality
VP Quality is responsible for formulating policy positions related to quality of care issues, quality measurement, pharmacy, and health equity; staffing the Federation of American Hospitals (FAH) Board of Directors, as required, and the FAH Quality Committee; co-staffing the Emergency Preparedness Task Force, HIT Task Force, and Pharmacy Task Force; serving as the organization’s primary liaison to the quality policy staffs of the other major hospital associations, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s (AHRQ), and Food and Drug Administration, the National Quality Forum (NQF), and The Joint Commission.
- Track, develop policy, and as necessary, advocate FAH policies that affect hospital quality, value, equity in care, and hospital pharmaceutical management with the CMS, CDC, AHRQ and FDA.
- Review, analyze and prepare FAH responses to various federal agency action including annual rulemaking initiatives, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) demonstrations, MedPAC, policy statements, as well as Congressional activity regarding quality measurement and performance.
- Review, analyze and prepare FAH responses to various proposals from the NQF, comment at public meetings and engage in ad hoc committees to facilitate the work of the NQF.
- Review, analyze and draft responses to major federal regulatory proposals that link hospitals’ payment to the quality of care delivered in their facilities.
- Prepare agendas and engage speakers for bi-annual meetings of the Quality Committee during the FAH national meetings and facilitate conference calls on an as-needed basis to ensure appropriate FAH member input in policy decision-making.
- Communicate regularly to the Quality Committee federal changes in program management for quality measurement and reporting, changes to Conditions of Participation, FDA drug guidance, and CDC infection control practices.
- Stay current with peer reviewed literature and research relating to integrating quality measurement, improvement, care equity, and value primarily in the public sector but also influenced by the private sector.
- Support FAH Communications staff with responses to media stories regarding quality and other issues as well as proactive blogs, tweets, and other communication tools that help position FAH as a leader in the health care quality space.
Work with Outside Organizations:
- Facilitate the FAH membership and interaction with the NQF including staffing the FAH CEO in his appointments to various NQF Committees such as the Measure Applications Partnership.
- Serve on The Joint Commission’s Hospital Corporate Liaison Committee and facilitate the active participation of FAH members on this Committee.
- Staff the FAH representatives to The Joint Commission’s Hospital Professional Technical Advisory Committee (PTAC).
- Interact and collaborate with representatives of the American Hospital Association, the Association of American Medical Colleges, and America’s Essential Hospitals.
Qualifications and /or Experience:
- Preferred seven+ (7+) years of experience in public policy and/or quality measurement/policy, government agency, or legislative body working on health care quality issues.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Communicates easily and effectively with coworkers.
- Ability to: (1) maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential issues; (2) work under time deadlines; and (3) work effectively both independently and as a valuable team member.
- Proven ability to analyze complex policy matters.
- Self-starter with: (1) a motivated, goal-oriented personality, (2) strong attention to detail; and (3) ability to set priorities and multi-task multiple projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
- Excellent benefits package with employer-subsidized health, vision, and dental insurance coverage, 401(k) with FAH matching and opportunity for additional contributions, life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and short term and long-term disability insurance.
Interested parties should submit a resume to Lisa Harrison, VP, Administrative Services, by electronic mail to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2021-04-07