Vice President/Senior Counsel
American Bankers Association
Want to work for a great Organization? The American Bankers Association is the banking industry’s champion. Joining ABA makes you part of a team that: • has Extraordinary People – ABA experts are the “go to” sources for bankers, policy makers and the media for credible information and insights for the banking industry. • has Unmatched Scope and Scale – ABA’s unparalleled information and services keep members current, knowledgeable and prepared. • is Impact-Driven – ABA has a proven record of bringing about positive change for our members and the industry. We take action and achieve results. Plus competitive pay, an outstanding benefits package, a convenient DC location, a professional collegial work environment and an opportunity to work on issues of national significance equals a winning combination!
ABA is seeking a Vice President/Senior Counsel who will have primary responsibility for Fair Lending compliance and related policy developments. S/he will work in collaboration with other ABA subject matter experts on the Community Reinvestment Act, Office of Minority and Women Affairs matters, Fair Housing Act, emerging fair and responsible banking, economic inclusion issues, and others. In addition, as a member of the Regulatory Compliance and Policy team, the Vice President/Senior Counsel may be assigned to work on other consumer compliance and policy issues as staff workloads and banking agency regulatory initiatives warrant.
This position is responsible for monitoring and analyzing legislative and regulatory proposals affecting bank compliance and policy issues; developing ABA positions on these issues (in cooperation with member banks and other ABA staff); communicating ABA’s position to member bankers, and advocating these positions before bank regulators, working with Government Relations/Congressional Affairs colleagues to develop and implement Congressional advocacy, and, working with communications department, to the press. The Vice President/Senior Counsel is also responsible for keeping bankers up to date on regulatory and legislative changes through ABA’s website and other communication vehicles such as webinars, conferences, etc.
- Work with ABA task forces, councils, committees, peer groups, and working groups to anticipate and analyze regulatory and legislative proposals, to develop and promote ABA positions on a range of banking compliance policy issues, and to participate in the development of ABA advocacy strategy.
- Explain banking compliance matters and communicate ABA positions with respect to regulators, Congress, ABA staff, bankers, and media. Includes drafting comment letters, statements and testimony to congress, publishing articles and other materials, and participating in teleconferences, and conferences. Also includes working with ABA communications department and responding to media inquiries, including newspaper, radio and TV.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with bankers, Congressional staff (in coordination and with direction from Government Relations/Congressional Affairs colleagues) and banking regulators, as well as other trade groups and advocacy organizations, including consumer and civil rights advocates.
- Coordinate activities of assigned compliance-related committees and working groups.
- Advance ABA’s legislative and regulatory objectives through assigned advocacy activities and participate in coalitions comprised of other industry organizations with similar objectives.
- Promote ABA’s visibility and leadership role through activities and speaking opportunities at conferences sponsored by other organizations such as the American Bar Association, state bankers associations and others.
- Provide guidance to Compliance Analysts and Project Managers and answer bankers’ questions regarding compliance with various consumer banking regulations.
- Plan programming, create content, support development and participate in delivery of ABA programs such as telephone briefings and conferences.
- Review and edit ABA compliance e-learning, published articles, manuals, and other publications.
- Enhance ABA member relations by providing world class solutions and leadership in the incumbent’s area of responsibility, whether serving members directly or providing service to other ABA departments.
Marginal (Non-Essential) Functions
- Assist ABA staff in identifying topics and speakers for ABA programs and authors for articles.
- Advanced degree, JD specifically
- 6-8 years of related experience
- Demonstrated skills in presentation to large groups in the banking industry
- Ability to meld areas of authority with other colleagues covering related subject matter
- In-depth banking regulatory compliance knowledge, including knowledge of fair lending laws and regulations
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication skills for representing association in press and legislative situations
- Strong organizational skills for leading member committees
Job posted: 2019-08-09