Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, State Government Affairs
The Vice President of State Government Affairs will be responsible for state and local advocacy efforts on behalf of PCPC and members companies. This role is based in Washington, DC but requires the ability to travel on short notice. This role will develop and implement government affairs strategies to advance industry positions with policymakers at the state and local level.
This position is not fully remote and must be in the office at least two days per week.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Monitors state legislative developments of importance to PCPC members. Reports to PCPC staff and member companies on significance of developments.
- Track, monitor and analyze legislation impacting the cosmetic and personal care products industry in all 50 states and key local jurisdictions.
- Analyze state and local legislation. Leads efforts with member companies to develop positions on key legislation impacting industry. Develops materials for use in advocacy efforts including bill summaries, fact sheets, testimony and updates.
- Drafts PCPC correspondence and testimony on state and local legislative matters. Testifies on behalf of industry at legislative hearings. Ability to travel on short notice is necessary.
- Manage PCPC State Steering Committee, composed of member company personnel with responsibility for government affairs. Responsible for written updates and verbal presentations to committee members on legislation and significant developments.
- Works with PCPC local counsel and consultants to develop and execute lobbying strategy in key states.
- Provides review of PCPC committee agendas, minutes and other documents.
- Attends and speaks at industry meetings in connection with duties.
- Cooperates with other internal PCPC staff members to assure the achievement of PCPC goals and coordinate efforts.
- Development of political action committee outreach plan.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Communication, Written – Strong writing and presentation skills, with the ability to analyze and condense complex information.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Privacy – Ability to handle confidential or sensitive issues and/or materials and is expected to maintain privacy and confidentiality of documents pertaining to program matters.
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Presentation Skills – Ability to effectively present information publicly.
- Reliability – The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Research Skills – Ability to design and conduct a systematic, objective, and critical investigation.
- Responsible – Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Technical Aptitude – Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years State lobbying experience. Trade or membership association experience and knowledge of personal care industry policy a plus
- Experience in managing advocacy campaigns
- Experience managing state corporate political contributions
- Experience working with inter-governmental organizations
- Experience managing high performing teams in separate locations
- Ability to travel 50%+
- Previous experience in a corporation or trade association
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- This position requires the ability to work out of the office locally (2 – 3 days per week) and out of state (50% +). This work may include weekday and weekend travel. Extended workday hours may be necessary around major meetings and other high-volume work periods.
- Physical requirements include the ability to remain in a stationary position, the ability to move supplies and equipment up to 25 pounds and the ability to operate office equipment.
Apply online here
Job posted: 2022-10-25