Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President, Sustainability & Responsible Care
The Vice President, Sustainability & Responsible Care is responsible for overseeing the strategic direction of the American Chemistry Council’s (ACC) sustainability and Responsible Care® advocacy programs, including ensuring the proper integration of the sustainability and Responsible Care® programs with broader ACC advocacy priorities and initiatives. The ACC and its members are committed to advancing safe, innovative, effective and economically viable chemical products and technologies that are key to unlocking sustainability solutions. ACC’s Sustainability Principles outline the priority areas where they believe they can have the most impact to advance sustainability. This executive will be the key interface for ACC with the global leadership teams of its member organizations in continuing to evolve Sustainability and Responsible Care® strategy and programs. The position reports directly to the President & Chief Executive Officer
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the execution of sustainability strategy focused on key issue areas, including climate, water, air, product safety and circularity. Works with Board-level committee to develop consensus tactics, approaches, goals and mechanisms for sustainability strategy implementation.
- Directs staff and coordinates member teams to deliver against ACC’s sustainability strategy milestones and programs, including member companies reporting of designated sustainability metrics.
- Identifies opportunities and implements strategies to deliver approaches that advance ACC’s sustainability objectives both within the industry, including suppliers, and to downstream markets.
- Develops and deploys ACC’s strategic approach to value chain outreach, including executive-level briefings on value chain strategies.
- Seeks opportunities to elevate industry’s credibility, reputation and standing with key stakeholders through collaboration and partnerships, including strategic partnerships and collaboration with key NGO’s.
- Works with Board-level committee to develop consensus tactics, approaches, and mechanisms for sustainability strategy implementation.
- Develops, implements and supports strategies for enhancing the business/advocacy value of Responsible Care® throughout the value chain, including Partner organizations as well as identifies new strategic partnership opportunities.
- Develops and maintains appropriate executive level contacts with government agencies, member company representatives, external groups/coalitions/NGO’s and organizations, standard setting organizations, relevant businesses, and internal ACC departments/divisions (e.g., Federal Affairs, State Affairs, and Regulatory and Technical Affairs).
- Serves as a member of the ACC senior management team and maintains responsibility for ensuring the coordination and alignment of Sustainability and Market Outreach with other ACC departments/divisions.
- Oversees the overall work activities of direct reports, including establishing performance objectives, conducting performance reviews, and facilitating employee development for direct reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business-related, scientific or communications field.
- 15 years relevant professional level experience, including a significant level of prior experience in a senior-level strategic role.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes on both federal and state levels.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, as well as the ability to give internal and public presentations.
- Ability to cultivate and manage high-quality stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrated expertise as a senior-level leader with demonstrated skills in leading, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Ability to build consensus, work in a team environment, and coordinate across multiple groups within a large organization.
- Ability to process complex, technical, abstract verbal and written information for purposes of establishing strategy, direction and action plans.
- Corporate or trade association experience in a related industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the chemical industry.
- Federal government or related experience in the context of relevant industry regulation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-25