Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Vice President of US Social Impact Programs & Operations
Sesame Workshop is seeking a Vice President of US Social Impact (USSI) Programs and Operations. The VP will oversee Sesame Workshop’s USSI Program Management function—ensuring delivery and leading the expansion of our key philanthropically funded initiatives, including Sesame Street in Communities (focused on trauma, resilience, racial and social justice), Military Families, and Autism.
The VP will also work closely with the SVP, USSI and the SVP of Social Impact & Philanthropy (SIP) Operations to ensure that the USSI department runs as efficiently, as possible. To that end, this individual should be a strong, cross-functional leader, who is quickly able to “grasp the big picture,” set strategic direction and deploy resources effectively to deliver on USSI’s educational and programmatic agenda.
The right candidate should understand and embrace the mission of Sesame Workshop and the Social Impact and Philanthropy Group (SIP). Should be a positive, hands-on leader, who is able to prioritize and balance trade-offs in decisions that affect Sesame’s impact, growth and sustainability – while exercising strong organizational skills, business acumen and emotional intelligence.
The VP will lead a highly collaborative team of six individuals, work side-by-side USSI’s Education & Content team, and be based in New York, NY.
Growth & Strategic Initiatives
- Set strategic direction, develop and implement plans to scale the impact of USSI’s key initiatives, including piloting, research and expansion funding
- Identify opportunities to elevate and amplify the reach of USSI’s key initiatives working closely with Sesame’s Marketing/Communications and Philanthropic Development teams
- Support the SVP, USSI with the planning and management of strategic initiatives across the department and Sesame, as well as actively monitor progress throughout each year
- Lead a portfolio of philanthropically funded projects, and work with the USSI Program Management team to implement best practices, in terms of project delivery, budget management, and progress tracking of deliverables
- Build and manage relationships with strategic partners in support of project delivery and implementation (primarily national direct service nonprofits and networks reaching children and families)
- Work collaboratively with Sesame’s Philanthropic Development team to support relationship-building for new and existing funders
- Work closely with the SVP, USSI and SVP, SIP Ops to:
- Manage the overall USSI funded-projects budget and identify opportunities for improvement
- Set and deliver against a clear set of impact goals and KPIs (in collaboration, with USSI’s Education & Content, Sesame’s Research and Philanthropic Development teams)
- Identify opportunities to more efficiently and effectively deploy staff to deliver on core objectives, as well as “rapid response” opportunities, as they arise
- Efficiently navigate and manage USSI business affairs, including facilitating productive interactions with Finance, legal, and HR
- MBA or MPA in business or public administration
- 10+ years of related work experience – including 5+ years of team leadership experience – in one or more of the following contexts: nonprofit, government, education, social justice, media and/or social sector-focused management consulting
- Experience leading and sustainably growing philanthropically funded initiatives and programs
- Experience with media-based strategies for social change, including public awareness campaigns, digital and social media, is strongly preferred
- Proven ability to foster and manage relationships with funders and/or strategic partners
- Strong project management skills and business acumen, including:
- Developing and managing both project and portfolio budgets
- Creating implementation plans and managing timelines
- Working collaboratively and cross-functionally to complete deliverables
- Experience leading and developing high-performing teams, while also operating as a hands-on individual contributor
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to undertake periodic domestic travel
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street which reaches 156 million children across 160 countries. The Workshop’s mission is to use the educational power of media to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. Delivered through a variety of platforms, including television programs, digital experiences, books and community engagement, its research-based programs are tailored to the needs of the communities and countries they serve. For more information, visit us at www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
How to Apply:
Job posted: 2021-12-28