Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
VP, Chief Diversity & Social Impact Officer
At Clorox, we champion people to be well and thrive by doing the right thing, putting people at the center, and playing to win. Led by our IGNITE strategy, we build brands that make a positive difference in people’s lives around the world. And we know that success requires head, heart, AND guts — all three, every day — coming together to work simpler, faster, bolder, and more inclusively. Interested? Join us to #IgniteYourCareer!
Your role at Clorox:
Clorox has a legacy of truly caring about people – our own team members, our consumers and our communities. We’re proud of who we are and what we’ve done. At the same time, we’re not satisfied. We are determined to become better, and this role is an essential part of achieving our aspirations.
One voice can make a positive difference in the lives of millions. One idea can inspire people for generations to come. As part of our team, you’ll be empowered to lead, to delight customers, consumers, communities and team members and to join us in our common purpose to champion people.
Do you have what it takes to shape the next 100 years? Find out at Clorox.
Reporting to the Chief People & Corporate Affairs Officer, this leader is responsible for development and implementation of a global Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Allyship (IDEA) strategy that is integrated with our community strategy and supports our business, people and community objectives, reflecting our purpose, IGNITE strategy and values. Outcomes will include enhanced individual and company performance as well as positive impact on our communities through superior talent, stronger innovation and faster growth (among other positive outcomes).
This individual leads work to 1) develop and execute a cohesive strategy that integrates the company’s IDEA efforts, and 2) ensure a people experience that embraces the widely differing backgrounds and experiences of our entire global workforce and strengthens our ability to attract, retain and engage this diverse talent with a superior employee value proposition that’s tailored for hybrid work. Our leader is driven by passion and purpose and is determined to engage a broad set of stakeholders to drive systemic and lasting change.
In this role, you will:
- Establish and clearly articulate a comprehensive IDEA strategy for the enterprise (i.e., global and inclusive of production and nonproduction), ensuring alignment with corporate and people strategies as well as clarity and focus to guide both proactive and reactive areas where we will and won’t invest time and resources.
- Lead strategy and execution of the company’s and The Clorox Company Foundation’s charitable giving and employee community engagement programs, including strategic partnerships and community engagement to foster healthy and inclusive communities, achieve global impact objectives and deliver positive business results. Provide oversight for all related programs, internal and external (e.g., grants, workplace giving, volunteerism, disaster relief). Serve on the Board of the Clorox Foundation.
- Operationalize strategy through new initiatives and by integrating into internal systems – policies, programs and processes (e.g., hiring, onboarding, development, succession planning, etc.) in the US and globally, as appropriate. Apply freedom within a framework: Be clear about what is expected and where there is flexibility.
- Establish and be accountable for short- and long-term objectives and goals (quantitative and qualitative) for the organization that ensure clarity about how we define success and reflect both external and internal factors, with a focus on measurable results.
- Drive accountability for outcomes, both within the team and across the broader Clorox organization (i.e., both with and without formal authority).
- Allyship: Knowing that reaching our aspirations requires engagement of every member of our team, clarify and amplify the role of allies. Ensure clear expectations for every member of our Clorox team.
- Engage effectively with internal partners and colleagues:
- Regularly update the Board of Directors on our strategy and related progress.
- Work directly with the Chair of our I&D Committee (currently the company’s COO) to shape the agenda and advance the work.
- Engage with leaders (the Senior Leadership Team, including the company’s CEO, executive team and US General Managers) to achieve our objectives, effectively lead progress including as ERG sponsors and to ensure appropriate support for team members who contribute to IDEA outcomes.
- Develop relationships with business leaders globally to influence functional and regional I&D goals and initiatives and, in some cases, to co-create.
- Build a community of leaders and ambassadors through personal connections with ERGs and other networks as well as through formal mechanisms.
- Collaborate with People Experience, Total Rewards, Talent Management, HR Business Partners, Corporate Communications, the Sustainability Center, Legal, Sourcing and other colleagues to establish a current fact base relative to our aspiration and ensure integration, coordination and compliance, as appropriate.
- Engage with external stakeholders and resources:
- Establish a coordinated approach for engaging external stakeholders, to include community organizations, customers, suppliers, and partner organizations.
- Seek and apply best and emerging practices from beyond our industry, adapted for our objectives and culture.
- Cultivate key relationships, sponsorships and enterprise recognition in alignment with our IDEA strategy.
- Manage a team of direct and indirect resources to deliver on all aspects of the IDEA strategy; Effectively engage and leverage ERGs and functional task forces to own and drive outcomes; Ensure the enterprise governance and infrastructure is effective.
- Optimize and manage investments in alignment with the strategy and ensure spending and resource allocation is carefully managed (i.e., on time and on budget) to deliver ROI.
What we look for:
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience with 5+ years of active engagement with I&D at a business unit, function or enterprise level, ideally in a global and geographically dispersed environment. Line management and cross-functional (e.g., HR, community relations, sustainability) experience would be valuable.
- Leading teams and managing people.
- Developing a strategy and demonstrating success translating business needs into actionable, practical I&D initiatives.
- Interaction with people processes, programs and policies at a deep enough level to enable effective partnership with internal colleagues for the purpose of addressing systemic barriers.
- Executive-level communication and interactions and understanding of effective governance.
- Track record of applying quantitative analysis and metrics to design and measure key initiatives, ideally including some that are I&D-related.
- Established reputation, credibility and thought leadership, ideally in diverse communities.
- Strategic thinking, Influence, Optimism
- Results-driven, Proactive
- Commitment building, Effective relationships, Empathy
- Situational Adaptability, Curiosity
- Approachable, authentic and engaging
- Thought leader and advisor with the ability to build trust
- Passionate about driving positive, systemic changeModels our values and Success@CLX, leading with Head, Heart & Guts
- Passionate about driving positive, systemic change
We seek out and celebrate diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we know you don’t need a degree to succeed. We’re looking for fresh perspectives, a desire to bring your best, and a non-stop drive to keep growing and learning.
At Clorox, we have a Culture of Inclusion. We believe our values-based culture connects to our purpose and helps our people be the best versions of themselves, professionally and personally. This means building a workplace where every person can feel respected, valued, and fully able to participate in our Clorox community. Learn more about our I&D program & initiatives here.
Benefits we offer to help you be well and thrive:
- Competitive compensation
- Generous 401(k) program in the US and similar programs in international
- Health benefits and programs that support both your physical and mental well-being
- Flexible work environment, depending on your role
- Meaningful opportunities to keep learning and growing
- Half-day Fridays, depending on your location
Please apply directly to our job postings and do not submit your resume to any person via text message. Clorox does not conduct text-based interviews and encourages you to be cautious of anyone posing as a Clorox recruiter via unsolicited texts during these uncertain times.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-18