At SHRM, we are committed to making work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members, including HR professionals, business executives, and people managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee engagement.
The Vice President of Communications will architect the organization-wide strategic communications strategy and lead the development and implementation of that plan. This includes directing all paid, earned and owned media strategies through supporting public relations, social and digital agencies. As the Vice President, this role will engage with media organizations/individuals to elevate HR, SHRM and its staff as well as to protect and defend SHRM’s reputation and brand. The Vice President will play a role in changing the environment of work and changing some of society’s greatest challenges that run through the workplace (social injustice, pay inequality, sexual harassment, immigration, skills shortage, paid family leave, and more) by engaging influencers and audiences across global media, events and content platforms for both internal and external audiences.
The Vice President will manage all internal and external messaging both via formal message maps as well as influencer/social messaging throughout SHRM. Within SHRM, s/he is responsible for positively impacting employee engagement and member experience by leading the delivery of consistent, transparent, and relevant stories. The Vice President leads the communications function of strategic comms, executive, board, employee and internal communications for SHRM and its strategic affiliates and operates within the Marketing & Experience Division.
- Ensure that corporate communications are developed and executed at an exemplary level.
- Effectively communicate SHRM’s vision, mission, and strategic goals, and ensure consistency with SHRM corporate messaging and brand.
- Drive communications strategies that are aligned with SHRM’s business goals.
- Lead development of long-range communication plans, goals and objectives.
- Oversee all executive and board communications and speeches.
- Establish and nurture media relationships with industry and top tier media.
- Develop and manage messaging for SHRM, including strategic messaging plan to support brand campaigns, conferences and events.
- Oversee the strategy and management of SHRM’s social media programming. Protect and enhance SHRM’s reputation by cultivating collaborative relationships through strategic engagement.
- Continually enhance professional skills related to the use of the rapidly changing landscape of social media. Focus on the “what’s next” and how it can help achieve SHRM’s business objectives and provide value to our current and growing membership.
- Manage external agency relationships.
- Oversee internal and employee communications.
- Manage day-to-day internal client projects and deliverables.
- Live SHRM’s culture and represent SHRM in the marketplace.
- Work cross-function to ensure a consistency in message across all departments and projects.
- Report on the business impact of social and media relations efforts.
- Understand how to communicate the story around Government Affairs and policy and its role in SHRM’s purpose to elevate HR.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- More than 10 years of progressively responsible/complex professional level experience including an extensive communications background.
- Previous work experience leading communications strategic planning and directly managing executive communications.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Knowledge of effective communication and employee commitment/engagement strategies with a diverse workforce.
- Demonstrated leadership skills (inspiring, problem solving, communication across multiple organizations, executing) to champion a productive, motivating organizational culture.
- Experience managing multiple complex projects involving multiple customers, interests and goals.
- Strong blend of management skills and technical expertise demonstrated by superior planning.
Let us know if you have:
- Master’s Degree in related field
- 2-3 years of experience leading communications teams.
- Understanding of reputation and issues management, executive visibility and stakeholder engagement through internal and external communications channels.
- Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Light lifting is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects.
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
- This job requires moderate travel 20-30%.
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
SHRM is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
We do not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-24