Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
VP, Federal Government Affairs
Be a part of something powerful at America’s leading energy provider!
At Exelon, our people are the heart and soul of our business. Whether it’s powering lives, supporting communities or collaborating with colleagues, an Exelon employee is talented, compassionate, forward-thinking and inspired. We are a Fortune 200 company united by our values and shared vision for a cleaner and brighter future. We encourage curiosity, value diverse perspectives and we never stop looking for ways to be, work and do better. We know the future is in our hands. That’s why we’re looking for people like you, who have the power to make a difference.
As the nation’s largest utility company, we serve more than 10 million customers through six fully regulated transmission and distribution utilities — Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco). All 18,000 of us are committed to delivering safe, reliable and affordable energy to our customers, strengthening our communities, supporting a clean energy future and reducing our impact on the changing climate.
Our people are empowered to evolve and advance their careers in an open and inclusive environment. We pride ourselves on being the kind of place where people want to come, stay and grow — whether that’s in the role and path they start in or in new and exciting career opportunities across our business. We know that investing in our employees’ futures strengthens ours, which is why we offer competitive compensation, incentives, opportunities for career path changes, and health and retirement benefits.
The position is an executive level government affairs position for Exelon. The primary purpose is to provide strategic guidance to the corporation regarding the implementation and advocacy of public policy issues that impact Exelon corporate and business unit strategic and business plans, to shape federal issues before United States Congress, the White House and Executive Branch of the federal government in a manner favorable to Exelon , and to leverage relationships in the Congress, the White House and the Executive Branch of the federal government to assist efforts by others in Exelon seeking to shape state and regional policies. The position develops and implements, in consultation with business units and external consultants, a strategy for achieving corporate objectives with regard to public policy issues of interest to Exelon from a federal perspective. The position is responsible for promoting and influencing external stakeholders and policymakers to support Exelon policies through interaction with senior federal government officials, national trade associations, and ad-hoc coalitions. The position reports to the Senior Vice President of Federal Governmental and Regulatory Affairs, and Public Policy.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities
- Develop and implement strategies to promote Federal public policy positions to benefit Exelon – work closely with Exelon senior management, business unit heads and their designees to identify and assess issues of importance to Exelon customers, employees and shareholders and to identify public policy objectives for key issues
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key Members of Congress and Congressional staff – Congressional delegations in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania – House and Senate leadership, Republican and Democrat – Key House and Senate committee members and staff
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key Administration officials and staff – White House and Office of the Vice President
- Manage consultants to promote Exelon political and public policy goals
- Serves as the company’s chief liaison with Federal legislative and Executive Branch officials on policy issues
- Internally, interacts with and advises executive leadership of the corporation on policy issues as both a technical and business savvy professional; also interacts with other Exelon executives and key managers both in the course of regular business and also to assist in leadership development activities
- Externally, interacts with Members of Congress and staff, Senior White House and Administration officials, including Cabinet secretaries and staff; CEOs and senior executives from other utilities
- Policies are anticipated to have both strategic and economic impact on the business.
- Position reports to the Senior Vice President, Federal Governmental and Regulatory Affairs, and Public Policy
- Direct reports: 2
- Manages external consultants
- A complete understanding of the Federal legislative process
- A fundamental understanding of the electric and gas energy industry and key public policy issues affecting the industry
- An ability to understand complex issues and the implications of current financial, energy, legal and labor issues for Exelon and the industry
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience with management and leadership responsibilities in the electric and gas industry or in government, at least 7 years of which have been involved in the public policy arena
- A track record of guiding high-profile agendas and/or issue campaigns through complex political environments and the broader public policy arena
- Strong consultative and interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups of individuals inside and outside large companies including CEOs, presidents and their staffs, lobbyists, federal and state elected and appointed officials and regulators, trade and business associations, foundations, political organizations, and public interest groups
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Absolute integrity and discretion
- Minimum 4-year college degree
- Either a BA or BS degree in business, engineering, political science, public policy or related field
- Law degree or masters degree in business, engineering, political science, public policy or related field
- A wide network of contacts within the business community, federal government, elected officials, and public interest groups
- Leadership positions in external trade associations, coalitions or industry organizations
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-21