VP of Government Affairs
Vice President, Government Affairs
Exhibitions and Conferences Alliance (ECA)
The Exhibitions and Conferences Alliance (ECA) is a newly formed 501(c)6 that advances the common interests of the U.S. exhibitions and conferences industry, which contributes almost a trillion dollars to the US economy and 7 million jobs. It is a partnership of key industry associations—co-led by the Society for Independent Show Organizers (SISO) and International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE)—exclusively to advocate on behalf of the industry. ECA will promote the impact of the sector, drive general industry awareness, monitor legislative issues, advocate for the industry’s common interests, and work with partners globally as needed, in order to maintain a favorable operating environment within the U.S.
The Vice President, Government Affairs reports to the co-Presidents and is responsible for leading the advocacy efforts of the Alliance. This includes working with the board to develop and execute an effective advocacy strategy, managing government relations for ECA at the federal level, working with Alliance partners to maintain government relations in key states and municipalities, and managing our external resources such as PR, marketing, and lobbyists to ensure advocacy efforts are meeting strategic goals.
- Develop and implement effective advocacy strategies that will help advance the public policy objectives of the Alliance.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key members of Congress, the Administration and their staffs.
- Advocate for the Alliance’s priorities before the US Congress and federal agencies.
- Hire and oversee contract lobbyists and consultants to achieve the Alliance’s public policy objectives.
- Directly contract lobbyists, as needed, to oversee advocacy efforts on high-priority state issues.
- Positively influence legislative, regulatory proposals, and policy initiatives of interest to the Alliance.
- Work with PR and marketing communications firms as needed in support of the Alliance’s goals.
- Monitor priority issues and provide updates on federal legislation, regulations, hearings, meetings and related activities of potential interest to the Alliance and its members.
- Review legislative and regulatory proposals, draft amendments and develop advocacy materials in support of the Alliance’s public policy objectives.
- Coordinate with other trade associations and coalitions on issues of mutual interest.
- Establish and maintain relationships with international government affairs entities (e.g., EEIA) to share learnings and best practices.
- 15+ years of experience as staff on Capitol Hill, the Executive Branch, or as a lobbyist
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy or a related discipline
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated history of success in public policy and/or advocacy
- Strong history of building and maintaining strong relationships on Capitol Hill or the Executive Branch
- Experience in hiring and managing contract lobbyists and consultants
- Successful track record in lobbying at the federal level
- Experience leveraging PR, grassroots campaigns, and communications to support legislative actions
- Experience in coalition / alliance advocacy a plus
- An entrepreneurial self-starter who’s interested in establishing and maintaining a strong advocacy foundation for the industry
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with Alliance members and leadership
Apply now by emailing your resume to HR@
Job posted: 2020-12-01