VP, Government Affairs-ADM00051
VP, Government Affairs
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield (URW) is the premier global developer and operator of flagship shopping destinations. With a portfolio valued at over €63 billion, the company owns and operates 97 shopping centres, including 56 flagships in the most dynamic cities in Europe and the United States. Our centres, welcoming 1.2 billion visits per year, are present on two continents and in 13 countries, and provide a unique platform for retailers and brands – with an exceptional and constantly renewed experience for customers. The Group also has the largest development pipeline in the industry, worth €12.5 billion, focused on building the shopping and lifestyle destinations of the future. In addition, URW distinguishes itself in the communities we serve through our Better Places 2030 agenda, an ambition to create places that respect the highest environmental standards and contribute to better cities and communities.
Our 3,700 talented professionals, at the forefront of innovation, possess the skills and are committed to the engagement and teamwork required to drive performance and generate superior value.
The Vice President of Government Affairs will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing strategies and activities that advance the company’s political and legislative interests at the federal, state and local level. The job includes representing the company before state and local governments and administrative agencies, managing the company’s legislative and political agenda and strategically planning, managing and executing other activities and events that advance the company’s overall objectives.
Key to the success of the role will be anticipating and managing the company’s agenda within the states in which it has operating assets; as well as with the various municipal, county and other local government entities that have jurisdictional authority over URW’s shopping centers or other projects. The candidate should have experience working at a state and local level in at least some of the states in which the company operates, as well as with the federal government. An interest in tax policy, the real estate business and retail generally is beneficial.
• Responsible for state legislative, regulatory, and public policy matters. Develops and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation and coordinates state and local association management, key contacts programs, training, and compliance.
• Oversees corporate government affairs initiatives and works with local teams to track, oversee and/or coordinate local political activities.
• Executes against strategic goals / priorities for and across the business enterprise by integrating capabilities that include government relations, policy, advocacy, community outreach, communications and public affairs.
• Successfully identifies, develops, manages and engages contracted resources that include political consultants, lobbying firms and public affairs firms.
• Monitoring and tracking relevant legislative, regulatory, and public policy developments at a federal, state and local level; and helping to produce materials as needed to explain those developments and their impact on URW.
• Working closely with the business through operations/cross-functional teams to engage and expand URW’s advocacy network to support URW’s government relations and public policy priorities.
• Facilitating meetings of U.S. business leaders with policymakers, and brief U.S. business leaders on government relations and public affairs developments. Develop and maintain relationships with government representatives and regulators as needed.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with trade groups and relevant organizations and serves as a liaison between the local, state and national associations on public policy issues.
• Draft, analyze and/or present legislation, amendments, and testimony as necessary.
• Travel to attend meetings, hearings, conferences or other events to represent the company.
• BA required, advanced degree preferred with 10+ years work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house Government Relations and/or political communications.
• Experience in the following areas: federal, state or city government; legislative affairs; politics/campaigns; advocacy.
• Ability to exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice.
• Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating effectively and on message, and responding to tough questions from diverse constituencies; including from community groups, high-ranking elected officials, tenant groups or others.
• Ability to negotiate with legislative staff and other groups effectively, while also creating positive relationships.
• Strong leadership experience managing local and remote teams; ability to influence direction of group work. Self-starter, ability to own and drive priorities within your portfolio.
• Creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions with a willingness to hold yourself, team members and consultants accountable to continuously anticipate challenges, identify opportunities, and deliver results.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation, regulation, contracts, and legal documents.
• Flexibility to travel as needed, experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and work nights and weekends as needed.
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, experience and skills. We offer a collaborative, innovative, achievement focused culture with unique opportunities for growth in a global company and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-26