VP, Government Affairs-ADM0005K
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield is the premier global developer and operator of flagship shopping destinations. With a portfolio valued at €65 billion as at 30 June 2019, we own and operate 90 shopping centres; 55 are flagships in the most dynamic cities in Europe and the United States. Our centres welcome 1.2 billion visits per year. Present in 2 continents and in 12 countries, URW provides a unique platform for retailers and brand events and offers an exceptional and constantly renewed experience for customers. The Group has the largest development pipeline in the industry, worth €10.3 billion. URW distinguishes itself by its Better Places 2030 agenda, that sets its ambition to create better places that respect the highest environmental standards and contribute to better cities.
At the forefront of innovation, our 3,700 talented professionals are preparing for future generations of customers. Our skills, engagement and team work are key to driving performance and generating superior value.
We are currently looking for our:
Vice President, Government Affairs
What we offer
We are looking for a passionate professional with an entrepreneurial mindset to play a critical role in developing, coordinating and implementing strategies and activities that advance the company’s policy, legislative and business development interests at the federal, state and local level. Based on the East coast, this position will report directly to the Executive Vice President, Director of Public Affairs. The VP will anticipate and manage the company’s agenda within the states in which it has operating assets; as well as with the various municipal, county and local government entities that have jurisdictional authority over URW’s shopping centers, airports or other projects.
In this role, your main missions are:
- Responsible for federal, state and local legislative, regulatory, and public policy matters
- Develops and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation and coordinates federal, state and local association management, key contacts programs, training, and compliance
- Oversees corporate government affairs initiatives and works with local teams to track, oversee and/or coordinate local political activities
- Executes against strategic goals / priorities for and across the business enterprise by integrating capabilities that include government relations, policy, advocacy, community outreach, communications and public affairs.
- Successfully identifies, develops, manages and engages contracted resources that include political consultants, lobbying firms and public affairs firms
- Monitoring and tracking relevant legislative, regulatory, and public policy developments at a federal, state and local level; and helping to produce materials as needed to explain those developments and their impact on URW
- Working closely with the business through operations/cross-functional teams to engage and expand URW’s advocacy network to support URW’s government relations and public policy priorities
- Facilitating meetings of U.S. business leaders with policymakers, and brief U.S. business leaders on government relations and public affairs developments. Develop and maintain relationships with government representatives and regulators as needed
- Establishes and maintains relationships with trade groups and relevant organizations and serves as a liaison between the local, state and national associations on public policy issues
- Draft, analyze and/or present legislation, amendments, and testimony as necessary
- Travel to attend meetings, hearings, conferences or other events to represent the company
What requirements are we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred, with 15+ years work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house Government Relations and/or political communications
- Experience in the following areas: federal, state or city government; legislative affairs; politics/campaigns; advocacy
- Ability to exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance and operate with integrity and within company values; maintain high standards for ethical practice
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation, regulation, contracts, and legal documents
- Flexibility to travel as needed, experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and work nights and weekends as needed
What desired qualifications are we looking for:
- Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating effectively and on message, and responding to tough questions from diverse constituencies; including from community groups, high-ranking elected officials, tenant groups or others
- Ability to negotiate with legislative staff and other groups effectively, while also creating positive relationships
- Strong leadership experience managing local and remote teams; ability to influence direction of group work.
- Self-starter, ability to own and drive priorities within your portfolio
- Creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions with a willingness to hold yourself, team members and consultants accountable to continuously anticipate challenges, identify opportunities, and deliver results
What is important to us
The following values bring us together and guide our actions. They are the foundation of who we are today and who we will be tomorrow: EXCELLENCE We only aim for the best – TEAMWORK We unite talent to win as a team – ETHICS We build on trust and transparency – BOLDNESS We dare with vision and agility – PASSION We go the extra mile – OWNERSHIP We are empowered to deliver.
We want someone who is committed, thorough, works well in a team, exudes positive energy and ready to grow within an international company. We offer a collaborative, innovative, and achievement focused culture with unique opportunities for growth. We strive for excellence and our culture fosters autonomy, innovation and the collective power of our employees. If you are looking to work on stimulating and empowering missions, amongst great team members, while being challenged daily, do not hesitate to apply!
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, experience and skills. We believe that diversity plays an important part in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences.
We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and other legally protected characteristics.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-06