VP of Government Affairs & Public Policy
About the role
This role’s location may be based in either Washington D.C. or San Francisco.
As the Vice President of Government Affairs and Public Policy at Chime, you will be a critical strategic leader and contributor to our community and our company. You will advise our Senior Leadership Team to define how the company analyzes, understands, navigates, and shapes the financial regulatory systems in the United States. You will advocate for Chime externally and bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You will be a thought leader around policy issues relevant to Chime’s core and emerging products and services and will advise on our current products, services and strategies. You will bring expertise in the areas of banking, fintech, and/or financial services trends and understand their importance to the company and its members. Additionally, you are an effective manager who is excited to lead and scale teams in a quickly growing company.
Chime takes our responsibilities to our members and to regulators seriously. Your team will seek to identify key policy issues, solicit and hear others’ perspectives, and distill and share the company’s views on those issues with external stakeholders. Technology moves quickly, your close partnerships with politicians, regulators, academics, consumer advocates and third parties around the challenges that affect financial services will be vital to our members.
This job cannot be performed in the state of Colorado.
In this role, you can expect to
- Develop a nuanced understanding of Chime’s current business and future potential and assess key legislative, policy and regulatory risks and opportunities;
- Lead, develop, and execute strategies for engaging government officials and regulators in the United States;
- Engage proactively and reactively with government officials and regulators at the local, state and federal levels regarding Chime’s current and future products to ensure that we are able to operate successfully and fairly;
- Maintain fluency on a wide variety of regulatory and policy issues including financial regulation, intellectual property, and privacy;
- Serve as an effective advocate for Chime and our customers on key policy and political matters and craft positions for the company that will establish it publicly as a thought leader and innovator;
- Communicate effectively with government officials, internal colleagues, consumer advocates, business partners, and industry associations;
- Grow and manage a team of government relations, community affairs, and/or public policy professionals, working cross-functionally with various teams including business, engineering, legal, product, and communications;
- Be a flexible communicator who can both explain technical details to a public policy audience and public policy developments to an internal technical audience.
To thrive in this role, you have
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- 15+ years of experience working with government, think tanks, public interest groups, consumer advocacy groups, technology industry groups, or corporations on challenges related to financial/banking products, services or regulations; experience working both inside and outside of government; bonus if you have worked on addressing the underbanked community.
- Demonstrated experience, strong existing relationships and proven track record of succeeding working with federal and state regulators, governmental bodies, public interest groups, or consumer advocacy groups.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and multiple stakeholders, executing strategies, delivering solutions, and managing cross-functional projects.
- The ability to integrate public policy with business strategy and influence both internal and external stakeholders.
- A bias towards execution and a strong north star, mission driven ethos.
- The ability to operate in ambiguous environments and quickly learn/adapt to emerging issues. Excellent attention to detail and personal, political, analytical, and communication skills.
- A self-starter attitude: you instinctively and consistently create personal and professional stretch goals and meet them.
- Curiosity, creative thinking, and a sense of humor.
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We’ve built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $14.5B. We’ve raised over $1B in funding from leading investors including DST, Coatue, Tiger Global, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Dragoneer, Menlo, Whale Rock, Access, Forerunner, Crosslink, Cathay, aCrew, and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-12