Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
VP Government Affairs & Social Impact
Who are we hiring?
The Vice President, Government Affairs & Social Impact (VP), will report to and assist the EVP with (1) monitoring, reacting to and managing governmental actions in assigned jurisdictions to promote the Company’s interests; and (2) supervising and enhancing the Company’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities, working in conjunction with GA staff, the Garden of Dreams staff and the Knicks’ and Rangers’ social impact staff. In this senior role, the VP will track relevant executive, legislative and regulatory issues related to the Company’s business and assist the EVP in understanding, communicating and resolving those issues in the Company’s favor. The VP will identify and foster professional relationships that will assist in resolving such issues. The VP will also be responsible for ensuring that the Department and the Company are compliant with all rules regarding lobbying, political contributions, conflicts of interest, gifting, etc. and shall work in conjunction with internal and external counsel to submit all required reports to New York City and State. In addition to the above duties, the VP will also be responsible for understanding the CSR activities currently being pursued by the Company, developing ideas for new CSR activities, and facilitating the integration of the work of the Garden of Dreams (the Company’s dedicated 501(c)(3)) into the Department’s overall CSR program. Other CSR responsibilities will include coordinating Company-sponsored clinics and events within the community and communicating and coordinating with external and internal stakeholders. The position will also oversee the collection and management of data memorializing and measuring the Company’s CSR activities and producing a bi-annual report communicating the Company’s CSR activities to the public and highlighting the Company’s positive community impact.
What will you do?
- Assist EVP in advancing the Company’s governmental and legislative agenda, including developing key relationships, managing specific issues and supporting the EVP’s government affairs strategies to protect the Company’s interests
- Monitor and identify relevant governmental events in NY, CA, IL, NV and other jurisdictions and communicate relevant and timely information to the appropriate internal audiences
- Communicate clearly and concisely with internal and external stakeholders on specific issues and special projects
- Work with the Company’s lobbying firms and consultants on important initiatives and issues
- Perform research activities regarding the Company, its businesses and related issues and draft reports for the EVP and senior management
- Assist EVP in the management, operation, growth and promotion of the Company’s CSR activities
- At the direction of the EVP, represent the company at select functions and events
What do you need to succeed?
- 15+ years’ experience with government or management-level government affairs role within a company
- At least six years’ experience in New York City and/or State government at a high level
- Thorough knowledge of governmental legislative processes
- Knowledge of NYC’s ULURP and other land use processes a plus
- Ability to build meaningful relationships at the state and local level
- Experience, at a management-level, in a corporate social responsibility or community engagement role
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, intense and highly-matrixed environment
- Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate and influence, while exercising sensitivity to the audience
- Ability to work within diverse internal and external groups
- Ability to work in cross-departmental and cross-functional teams to achieve Company goals
- Ability to understand and successfully take charge of difficult problems and to formulate/drive appropriate solutions
- JD, Master of Public Administration or Master of Public Policy is preferred, but not required
- Behavior consistent with MSG values
- The VP will supervise 2 Senior Managers.
Why is MSG for me?
Madison Square Garden Entertainment Corp. (MSG Entertainment) is a leader in live entertainment. The Company presents or hosts a broad array of events in its diverse collection of venues: New York’s Madison Square Garden, Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; and The Chicago Theatre. MSG Entertainment is also building a new state-of-the-art venue in Las Vegas, MSG Sphere at The Venetian. In addition, the Company features the original production – the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes – and through Boston Calling Events, produces the Boston Calling Music Festival. The Company’s two regional sports and entertainment networks, MSG Network and MSG+, deliver a wide range of live sports content and other programming. Also under the MSG Entertainment umbrella is Tao Group Hospitality, with entertainment dining and nightlife brands including: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Beauty & Essex, Cathédrale, Hakkasan and Omnia. More information is available at www.msgentertainment.com.
We invite you to create an exceptional career at MSG
At MSG, we recognize the importance of upskilling employees’ talents and strengths so they can drive their careers forward. We are proud to offer a robust set of tools and resources to help employees understand their interests and purpose, harness their talents and obtain the skills they need to reach the next step in their careers. Growth and longevity for our employees are top priorities here.
We value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required. #LI-AD1
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-02