VP Government Affairs – West State & Local
Altice USA is a cutting-edge communications, media, and tech company. We connect people to what matters most to them; texting with friends, advertising that resonates, or binge watching their favorite show. Our differentiated approach centers around technologies that push the envelope and deliver the ultimate customer experience. We’re building a workforce that attracts and retains the best talent, not only to meet the needs of our customers, but that also reflects the diverse communities we serve. We’re not the only ones who have seen it; we’ve recently been recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers as well as by the Human Rights Campaign, Diversity Inc Magazine, and Cablefax for our diversity & inclusion program.
Vice President, Government Affairs is responsible for managing the state and local government, legislative, regulatory, and franchising affairs for Altice USA’s video, broadband, voice, and wireless services across the Altice West region which includes 17 states including Texas, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arizona, California, Arkansas, and North Carolina. The regions cover more than 900 communities. This requires developing and executing complex and multi-dimensional strategies involving legislative, regulatory, and general governmental elements in support of business goals.
A key role in this portfolio is ensuring that relationships with local and state officials and staff are developed given the importance of these relationships to achieving the company’s objectives.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President for Government Affairs, who oversees all federal, state, and local advocacy, and will work collaboratively with the SVP to develop and execute on strategic objectives for the company.
Collaborates with the Community Affairs team to strategically use the community affairs programs to build governmental relationships that support and enhance the company’s objectives. Partners with the Policy team to analyze state and local legislation, regulations, and policy in order to develop advocacy strategies and materials.
To achieve these duties, this position manages a team and directs the work of various government and legal consultants. This position is responsible for assisting in the development and execution of the department budget related to the Altice West region.
It is critical for this position to collaborate and coordinate effectively with the relevant business leaders to develop government strategies to support the business objectives.
- Oversees the development and maintenance relationships with, from the relevant states, the Governor’s offices, Attorneys General, the state regulatory agencies and other state and local agencies, members of the state legislatures (including leadership and key committee chairs) and legislative staff members, congressional delegations, all local governments, county executives and legislators, and their staff and municipal officials in its service area.
- Managing the government affairs portfolio involves strategic use of public affairs, execution and development of political and community giving and managing the staff that oversees each region. This also includes supervision of the company’s political consulting team in consultation with the SVP.
- Design an annual political contribution plan targeting key state and local officials. Attend fundraisers to build and deepen relationships with them and their staff.
Legislative & Regulatory Affairs:
- Manages all state and local legislative, regulatory, and compliance advocacy. This includes strategic planning and direct day-to-day engagement in all aspects of legislative and regulatory proceedings in support of (all content) video, broadband, voice, and wireless services. These efforts seek to achieve a better governmental environment for the company’s products and services and protect the company’s interest in all state and local jurisdictions where Altice USA operates.
- Setting and implementing the company’s direct advocacy efforts with state regulatory bodies. Collaborating with consultants and Altice USA’s internal team to strengthen the company’s regulatory advocacy, develop and execute effective outreach strategy, and develop relationships with third party entities that will be influential in the regulatory process.
Franchising & Local Issues:
- This position is responsible for ensuring the renewal and maintenance of franchises and local communities in consultation with the SVP and Senior Counsel for Local Government Affairs. This role includes management of resulting audits from the local franchising work as well as securing approvals for Business Services to expand its businesses outside the Altice USA footprint.
- This position secures government support for business opportunities, such as tax incentives for facilities investment and approvals for WiFi equipment to support WiFi deployment, as well as zoning permits for facilities projects.
- Work with multiple departments to develop and manage outreach strategy. This includes coordination of strategic policy initiatives with State and Local teams of other telecommunications and media companies.
- Responsible for developing the strategic targets for execution of community affairs initiatives to advance the company’s image and relationships with public officials at the state and local level, in coordination with the local market engagement team.
- An undergraduate degree is required. A law degree or equivalent graduate level degree is strongly preferred.
- 15 +years’ experience as state or local government affairs executive in the media or technology industry, government affairs team for company or industry associations, or senior level position in state or local government department or agency.
- Deep functional experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationships and coalition building skills, is essential.
- Understanding the substantive policy issues of the media and technology industry with which Altice USA is associated as well as the business issues affecting the enterprise.
- Must have an appreciation and sensitivity to working within the context of a multifaceted organization.
- Strong management skills are a critical skill set to be successful in this role, both direct and indirect management.
- Manage diverse team of direct reports, including providing clear direction on expectations and deliverables.
- Anticipate emerging state government, public or community/social issues of importance to the cable/media industry and to position the company effectively to handle such issues in all aspects.
- Capable of creating and communicating a vision, both internally and externally, of the future of the company and its differentiation versus peers.
- Team building skills, including ability to work effectively with colleagues that are not direct reports.
- Leadership skills, including ability to advance company interests in venues that require consensus building.
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving, particularly in negotiations with government officials and agencies.
- Build and maintain relationships with state and local government officials.
- Ability to analyze and understand business impact of proposed legislation and regulations at state and local level.
- A strong working knowledge of state and local regulatory, legislative and franchising processes.
- Plan and execute public affairs activities including events involving public officials.
- Experience developing and executing complex political strategies.
- Develop budgets and oversee their execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
Altice USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Altice USA, Inc. collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-01