VP of Communications
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Toptal’s VP of Communications, you’ll be the central leader responsible for increasing awareness of and building credibility for Toptal globally. We need someone to be the authority and driver on all news stories, trending topics, and high-level business relationships relevant to Toptal. You’ll help build, shape, and protect our brand while furthering its awareness and credibility through media, business, and political relationships.
You’ll have the opportunity to be at the forefront of one of the most important conversations happening in the media today: global employment, jobs, and the future of work. You will help to facilitate relationships with notable journalists, ensure that meetings with Global 2000 C-levels have a purpose and follow up, and represent Toptal to presidents and prime ministers of countries with the highest level of integrity and respect.
The successful candidate will be a strong executive leader who excels at building relationships across relevant media members, brands and leaders with vision within Toptal’s audiences. This leader will need to set the vision and strategy for PR, social media and Toptal’s blogs and publications portfolio. Creativity and the ability to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes with top-tier media will ensure Toptal’s public image reflects our focus on quality.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Integrate into all relevant areas of Toptal while working with key leaders to build and implement media, PR, and social strategies that accelerate ongoing initiatives.
- Act as the primary custodian of the Toptal brand with media, analysts, influencers, and other third parties.
- Monitor all Toptal mentions by the outside world, ensuring the brand is accurately represented and build relationships as appropriate.
- Evaluate which members of media, academics, analysts, partners, and more are important for Toptal, and devise and execute creative strategies for building relationships with them.
- Fully manage the pitch ideation, asset development, and publishing processes. You will build the standards, processes, infrastructure, and team needed to scale an elite communications function driving value at a fast-growing organization from the ground up.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Understand the fundamentals of our PR, social media, and publishing operations.
- Meet with key executives to understand their perceptions of Toptal and its importance within the media.
- Meet with the CMO to learn about the OKRs and goals that have been set forth for your function.
In the first month, expect to:
- Go through deeper onboarding in key areas of the company for which corporate communications is of strategic importance, including beginning to do real work with the associated team leads and individual contributors.
- Onboard onto ongoing and upcoming initiatives that are relevant to communications and the PR strategy.
- Plan out your roadmap for PR at Toptal.
- Drive Toptal’s pitch ideation and development process, resulting in a compelling corporate narrative for the future of work.
- Work with Toptal’s CEO to understand the initiatives and relationships that are key to your success.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Begin executing your PR roadmap, setting up your team for durability, scale, and success.
- Assume management of all media relationships and coordinate with internal partners on relevant opportunities.
- Drive real impact for Toptal, building its reach and credibility for all its audiences, with a particular focus on enterprise and the future of work.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Build and execute strategies for long-term relationship building and media engagement.
- Set up Toptal’s long-term initiatives for successful PR launches.
- Collaborate with our CEO and other spokespeople in Toptal to prepare for public appearances, align messaging, and further the brand.
- Be fully responsible for all Toptal PR and media communications and relationships.
In the first year, expect to:
- Firmly establish yourself as the Toptal communication leader inside and outside the organization.
- Meet/exceed stakeholder expectations for delivery of the communications roadmap in a consistent manner.
- Have a strong infrastructure and execution process in place to ensure quality and scalability.
- Be an obsessive consumer of news and media.
- A background in journalism and media at a credible organization is a plus.
- A consistent record of PR leadership in fast-growing organizations is strongly preferred.
- Critically evaluating business initiatives and translating them into compelling media stories. *Excel at building relationships from scratch with representatives of media across all backgrounds and industries.
- High emotional intelligence and an empathetic understanding of the needs, biases, and capabilities of others.
- Ownership. Someone that will take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. Take pride in everything delivered.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience in academic research and/or writing of some form from a top university is preferred.
- Relentless, creative problem solver who is unwilling to compromise on the clarity and impact of content.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as flawless grammar and command of the English language.
- Welcome feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-29