VP of Public Affairs and Member Engagement
The Illinois Hotel and Lodging Association (IHLA) is a not-for-profit trade association that represents the lodging industry in Illinois. IHLA members consist of over 500 hotels and their employees throughout the state as well as related industry partners and suppliers. We advocate the industry’s position on political, legislative and regulatory issues that have the potential to impact the success of Illinois hotels. Additionally, IHLA educates its members through quality, relevant seminars and webinars.
Vice President of Government Relations & Member Engagement
Reporting to the President and CEO and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Government Relations and Member Engagement will advocate on behalf of Illinois’ hotel industry. The successful candidate will work to ensure adoption of legislation and policies that facilitate economic development and job growth while effectively communicating our advocacy priorities to elected officials, the media and other stakeholders.
He/she manages its direct reports and oversees the government relations team including contracted employees and interns. The public affairs team manages the development of policies through the Government Affairs Committee, member programs and IHLA’s Political Action Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the strategic planning for and implementation of IHLA’s legislative and advocacy initiatives in consultation with the CEO, Government Affairs Committee and board of directors
- Serve as a registered lobbyist for, and represent the public policy positions of IHLA before the Illinois General Assembly and local government bodies including the Cook County Board of Commissioners and Chicago City Council
- Maintain a database of contact with elected officials and track bills and ordinances on legislative issues at the state, county and local levels of government
- Manage IHLA’s Political Action Committee (IHMPAC), including candidate selection and PAC fundraising efforts
- Coordinate with the Director of Communications and PR contractors on internal and external communications and media outreach
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Association
- Identify opportunities for IHLA members to engage in the legislative process and serve as advocates for the industry.
- Form strategic alliances with other civic organizations to better coordinate policy activities
- Manage substantive issue forums and the Government Affairs Committee (GAC)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of GAC priorities and drive their initiatives
- Coordinate event logistics for GAC meetings and other events with IHLA’s Meetings and Events team
- Oversee the preparation of meeting agendas, correspondence with GAC members, handouts and minutes
- Guide and manage IHLA staff to achieve programmatic and revenue goals
- Serve as a primary point of contact for IHLA member inquiries related to legislative matters
- Attend conferences, workshops, training events and any other relevant meetings
- Engage in special activities or events as deemed necessary by the President and CEO
- Four-year bachelor’s degree required. Masters or professional degree preferred
- A minimum of five years direct experience in a legislative arena
- Demonstrated command of pro-business issues and priorities
- Volunteered for or full-time work on at least one political campaign
- Experience with raising, distributing, and/or managing the expenditure of PAC funds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Broad experience in developing strategic planning and implementing goals and tactics
- Must have previous team management experience with strong leadership and motivational skills
- Focused, proactive, highly responsive and results and goal-oriented
- An inspirational, enthusiastic, and accessible style, the capability to earn respect and broad-based credibility across an organization, and the ability to properly empower others
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level
- A team player with strong work ethic who has the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Results oriented and willing to make a personal commitment to meeting quantitative and qualitative targets
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours including early mornings and evenings
- Willingness to travel on short notice to Springfield, Illinois and throughout the state
- Passion for the mission of the Illinois Hotel and Lodging Association
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to Job@IllinoisHotels.org.
Job posted: 2019-01-24