VP of Public Policy
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Reporting directly to our executive leadership team, the VP of Public Policy will be responsible for leading the group’s government relations, public policy, and advocacy agenda. As the first hire and leader, you’ll be responsible for developing the function and strategy for the group across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects, and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Bumble to bring external perspectives back into the group to inform our perception and direction. You will be required to organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy. You will contribute analytical and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop and implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. Additionally, you’ll bring experience working with or in a corporate public policy team, government, or NGO preferably focused on consumer technology as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
Bumble and Badoo take their responsibilities seriously, including caring for our users and engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. This role will be responsible for driving internal policy decisions. This function will lead the group’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators, and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Bumble leaders, the function will seek to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the group’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. Our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology converge. We encourage healthy debate around the intersection of issues that affect our users.
- Direction and strategy
- Design and implement a government relations strategy that promotes group objectives through compelling public policy and advocacy in government and public arenas at all levels of government in multiple jurisdictions
- Develop and lead public policy strategy for the group, coordinating with a cross-functional team to design the group’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes
- Lead executive-level discussions on long-term policy direction in alignment with group and brand values
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and non-industry individuals and groups who can compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the group
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting the dating and social networking app ecosystem, including data privacy and security, content moderation, competition, and user safety
- Work globally to develop public policy strategies and positions for Bumble’s products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions
- Engage with policymakers, industry players, and key opinion formers
- Manage all government affairs activities including coordinating and monitoring legislative initiatives as prioritized by business needs and attending all association meetings as appropriate
- Evaluate pending legislation that may have impact on the group and develop timely recommendations for senior management and key business leaders
- Teams you’ll work with
- Work closely with the Communications and Legal teams on strategic engagement before federal and state legislative and regulatory bodies, and other related constituencies
- Collaborate and communicate with teams including Product, Communications (internal and external), Community Operations + Community Experience, and more.
- Build Policy team globally
- Oversee and allocate resources effectively
- Identify resourcing needs to execute policy strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 12-15+ years of experience working on technology policy issues within corporations, government, think tanks, public interest groups, or relevant industry associations
- Prior experience working in a government affairs function within a consumer-facing company, as well as setting strategy and policy
- Demonstrated track record of policy advocacy and legislative adoption and the local/state/federal level
- Master’s degree, J.D., or Ph.D.
- Experience within the technology and consumer internet and/or social media industry and familiarity with the surrounding policy environments
- Experience at a technology company, NGO, or similar organization, handling technology policy issues with global implications
- Familiarity with public policy issues associated with the technology industry, including topics such as user safety, privacy, and community moderation
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product, engineering, marketing, legal and operations teams
- Team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously
Please apply by submitting your resume along with a cover letter explaining your potential impact on Bumble and why you’re the ideal candidate for this role! As growth is one of our core values, the ideal candidate will be able to strategically make data-driven decisions to drive Bumble’s success and growth.
To learn more about life at the Bumble Hive, click here: https://thebeehive.bumble.com/careers/
Applicants are expected to have current work authorization in the country that the role is located.
About Bumble app: Bumble, the women-first social networking app, was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. With over 100 million users, Bumble connects people across dating (Bumble Date), friendship (Bumble BFF) and professional networking (Bumble Bizz). No matter the type of relationship, women make the first move on Bumble. Bumble recognizes the importance of relationships and how crucial they are to a healthy, happy life. They’ve built their platform around kindness, respect, and equality – and their users play an important part in that. Bumble holds its users accountable for their actions and has zero-tolerance for hate, aggression, or bullying. Bumble is available in 150 countries. Since 2014, Bumble has facilitated over a billion women-led first moves and over fifteen billion messages sent. Bumble is free and available in the App Store and Google Play.
Job posted: 2020-07-29