VP & Senior Director of Government Relations
Job Description Summary
The people of Transamerica bring expertise, creativity, heart and diverse thought to everything that we do – and to the communities where we live and work. Are you passionate about lobbying, advocacy, and working with cross-functional global teams to further corporate initiatives? Are you interested in being part of a team working to establish Transamerica as an industry leader?
What You Will Do: The VP & Senior Director of Government Relations will work with a cross-functional global team and a wide range of public authorities and thought leaders to develop and lead Transamerica’s advocacy strategy. You will report directly to the Global Head of Government and Policy Affairs.
What Success Looks Like:
- Execute on multi-year plans for shaping public policy and regulatory strategy for Transamerica in alignment with Aegon companies.
- Coordinate relationships with internal and external constituencies, key domestic and international industry associations, state legislators and international supervisors, Congressional staff and Executive Branch officials.
- Network with industry peers and build a better understanding of advocacy, grassroots, lobbying strategy in the United States and internationally.
- Manage direct reports.
- Prepare and organize forums and gatherings with government officials and internal stakeholders to exchange ideas and information on business activities and potential legislation that impact Transamerica and Aegon companies.
- Attend daily meetings at Transamerica’s member association’s offices, state offices, on Capitol Hill or the Executive Branch.
- Coordinate with member associations lobbying on behalf of Transamerica and Aegon companies.
- Prepare policy briefings, testimony for pending legislative actions, and provide thought leadership and recommendations from a domestic and international position.
- Monitor, analyze and report on key government policy and legislation.
- Represent Transamerica and Aegon’s position on key domestic and international policy issues.
- Work collaboratively with company division executives to shape advocacy positions on policy issues.
What You Need:
- Advanced degree in government, international affairs, public policy, or related discipline
- 12 years of professional experience at the intersection of business, government, and international policy
- Thorough understanding of the structure, organization and complexities of financial services regulatory bodies in the U.S., and EU.
- Extensive network of professional contacts in states, U.S. government, and internationally
- Experience and understanding of insurance issues and the workings of state government, Capitol Hill, and Executive Branch agencies.
- Track record of influencing domestic and international policy
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels
- Understanding of grassroots initiatives and working with a political action committee
- Strong and experienced skills in management
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong judgment/decision-making skills and political acumen
- Ability and willingness to work across multiple time zones, countries and cultures
- Law degree or MA in Political Science or International Affairs
What You Receive:
A Comprehensive Wealth + Health package. We believe that physical and financial well-being are inextricably linked and that focusing on both is the best way to add more years to our lives and life to our years. We want to help our customers and our employees save, invest, protect themselves and their loved ones and prepare for an active and meaningful retirement.
Wealth Benefits: Competitive pay, bonus, and benefits package; pension plan and 401k match; tuition reimbursement, career training & development and certification sponsorship; stock purchase plan, disability insurance and employee discounts.
Health and Work/Life Balance Benefits: Be Well company-sponsored holistic program which includes wellness coaching and reward dollars, parental leave and adoption assistance; paid time off to volunteer; employee-led resource groups; programs for employee assistance, college prep, back-up care for children and seniors, employee matching gifts, inclusion and diversity and employee recognition.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-19