VP Social Responsibility – UHG External Affairs
If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life’s best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group’s (UHG) mission is to help people live healthier lives and help the health care system work better. We are looking for a Vice President of Social Responsibility to join UHG’s External Affairs team. This individual will drive the strategic planning and execution of several UHG social responsibility efforts and will also advance the philanthropic interests of the United Health Foundation.
An ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with strong knowledge of the U.S. health care system, is comfortable working with others to lead through influence, is proactive, attentive to detail, committed to excellence, mindful of the broader external environment, and adaptable to change.
- Lead multiple Enterprise social responsibility initiatives, including management of strategic partnerships, evaluation of the outcomes of charitable investments, social responsibility benchmarking and other strategic analyses. Collaborate with leaders across UnitedHealth Group to gather insights on opportunities to make our social responsibility initiatives more impactful; leverage insights and relationships to identify and operationalize enhancements that advance UHG’s mission
- Meaningfully advance the United Health Foundation’s philanthropic grant-making priorities:
- Identify new potential grant partnerships that align with the Foundation’s areas of strategic focus, and engage with targeted organizations to develop high-quality grant proposals with clear objectives, metrics, and desired outcomes
- Manage relationships with multiple Foundation grant partners. Ensure progress against grant objectives and adherence to budget; also identify and execute strategic engagement and visibility opportunities that showcase the value and results of the partnership
- Support and advance long-term planning efforts to further enhance and evolve the Foundation’s grant-making strategy
- Leverage public health and health care delivery system knowledge to plan and execute purposeful and distinctive thought leadership that aligns to the Enterprise’s priorities and draws upon UnitedHealth Group’s capabilities as well as its philanthropic investments, such as the Foundation’s America’s Health Rankings initiative
- Leverage skills and expertise to advance UHG External Affairs’ priorities. Collaborate with External Affairs colleagues to develop and execute advocacy strategies, relationship development, or strategic positioning efforts at the state or national levels
- Represent UnitedHealth Group or the United Health Foundation and its work through participation in meetings, public remarks, or other venues
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in strategic leadership of a corporate or private social responsibility or philanthropy organization
- Travel approximately 25%
- 5+ years of professional experience in health care, preferably in health care services, insurance, or care delivery
- Experience working in corporate functions
- Based in the Minneapolis / St Paul, MN or Washington, DC area
- Sharp analytical and strategic thinking capabilities and ability to use good judgment in nuanced situations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with proven ability to communicate effectively – both verbally and in written deliverables – to executive audiences
- Comfort working in fast-paced environment, is able to multi-task, and has strong time management skills
- A highly motivated team player who is comfortable leading in ambiguous situations, developing new relationships, and working with diverse stakeholders
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you’re empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-27