VP of State Government Affairs
Windstream is a leading provider of advance network communications and technology solutions for consumers, small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across the U.S.
About the Role:
In this position you will lead Windstream’s state and local level policy advocacy. Through industry associations and lobbyists, you will interact with state regulation commissions and legislatures as well as city and county government officials. You will consult with internal groups such as legal, federal government affairs and marketing when matters may have political ramifications and/or relationships with state and local government officials can be leveraged to benefit the company.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with the government affairs strategy team and subject matter experts to establish and prioritize Windstream’s policy objectives for individual states and local government across your region.
- Lead development of advocacy plans to achieve Windstream’s state and local policy objectives. Work with senior legislative counsel to develop annual state and local political donations plans and advise on specific contributions from the Windstream PAC to state and local officials within your region.
- Advocate before state legislatures, regulatory agencies, and local governments regarding Windstream’s advocacy objectives; testify before state regulatory and legislative entities, city councils, and county commissions; speak on behalf of Windstream at state policy events, regional meetings, and conferences.
- Liaise with state trade associations by reviewing proposed filings and participating in meetings when joint policy positions are discussed and adopted.
- Liaise with key legislative, executive, and regulatory officials to introduce them to Windstream and keep them up to date on our business developments and government affairs priorities for individual states.
- Manage outside counsel, lobbyists, and other third party personnel such as economists and public relations specialists by directing, reviewing, and editing state and local government advocacy filings; providing guidance to lobbyists and public relations experts to develop messages and target audiences; and negotiating and reviewing payments.
- Attend political fundraisers and charitable events to further relationships with state and local government officials.
- Notify the legal department and others of newly adopted state, city, and county orders/rules/legislation. This notice should include a summary of key provisions in the item, relevant background, and a description of next steps in the proceeding/implementation dates.
- Develop relationships with and enlist advocacy support from key Windstream operations personnel in your region. This work includes providing updates to regional personnel on our advocacy efforts as well as coordinating their participation in meetings where it is important to have the local perspective.
- Assist marketing to ensure Windstream is positioned to compete for state and local government contracts for services. Such support entails recommending lobbyists who can offer general assistance and joining marketing in select state or local meetings.
- Recommend and support charitable activities that will help Windstream develop goodwill with state and local officials who play an important role within your region.
- Monitor telecom business developments at the state and local level.
Do You Have?
- 5 years of experience leading state and local level policy advocacy for a corporation.
- Experience developing relationships and enlisting advocacy support from key stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills and public speaking skills.
- Ability to negotiate and influence others.
- College degree
- 10 years professional level experience with 3-5 years supervisory experience; or 14 years professional level related experience with 3-5 years supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related experience desired.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance Plans
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identity Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet Insurance
EEO Statement: Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability and veteran status. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.
Job posted: 2021-04-14