VP, State Government Affairs
Synchrony seeks to hire a Vice President of State Government Affairs, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs. This person would promote Synchrony and its public policy agenda in the state legislatures, including through coalition building and collaborative work with retail and other partners.
- Design and manage Synchrony’s state legislative affairs program
- Translate Synchrony’s business and public policy objectives into legislative strategy
- Communicate effectively and persuasively with senior executives, business leaders, legislators, legislative staff, and industry representatives
- Build coalitions across financial institutions, retailers, and health care providers
- Monitor state legislative developments that may have an impact on Synchrony, its partners, or its customers
- Represent Synchrony with integrity to legislators, legislative staff, and other stakeholders
- Retain and manage state government affairs consultants
- Comply with applicable state legal and ethical requirements
- Manage state-level grassroots initiatives
- Work effectively with legislators across the political spectrum
- Develop and coordinate educational materials and strategy for use with Synchrony’s extended government affairs team
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5+ years relevant experience, or in lieu of degree 10+ years equivalent and relevant experience
- 5+ years experience in a role demonstrating in-depth knowledge of state-level legislative and political processes
- Able to travel at least 25%
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Outstanding communications, relationship building, influencing and collaboration skills
- Strategic thinking with ability to develop and implement actionable plans to drive results
- Proven ability to partner and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to function independently while exercising sound judgment
- Proactive, responsible, resourceful, detail-oriented, hard-working and willingness to learn
- A preferred candidate will have 5+ years state government and/or state political affairs experience
- A preferred candidate will have a proven record of accomplishment with respect to state legislative issues
- A preferred candidate will have experience working with industry trade associations
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the onboarding process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- New hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
The salary range for this position is 100,000.00 – 200,000.00 USD Annual
Salaries are adjusted according to market in CA and Metro NY and some positions are bonus eligible.
Job Family Group:
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-19