VP, U.S. Government Relations
The Vice President, U.S. Government Relations will be a lead partner in overseeing MetLife’s U.S.-based Government Relations operations in Washington, D.C. and will be a senior member of the team responsible for representing the company’s interests before the U.S. government (Congress, Executive Offices, and Agencies), and key third parties (associations, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, etc.). Candidates will have a track record of responsible decision making and success in a complex Government Affairs function, possessing a demonstrated and clear reputation for excellence and integrity in the government affairs community. S/He/They will promote a collaborative work environment with colleagues across MetLife’s global Government Relations team, helping them to leverage each other’s strengths and build and maintain a strong network of relationships with policymakers, domestically and globally
The incumbent will leverage expertise and relationships with governmental and industry stakeholders to achieve MetLife’s public policy goals and help deliver superior shareholder value. S/He/They will be a leading face of the company in Washington, D.C., and will have strong, high-level relationships with policymakers and officials.
Additionally, s/he/they will provide support and leadership in advancing the company’s public policy agenda by helping to design, implement, and coordinate the company’s strategic direction as it relates to outreach, messaging and engagement with elected officials, government officials and their staff, third-party allies, and industry partners on specific, high priority initiatives.
- Assist in the development and implementation of effective advocacy strategies for key business priorities requiring advocacy in the U.S. (U.S. business, enterprise, and international business priorities). Ensure the Company is among the leading voices in public policy debates affecting its interests and businesses.
- Coordinate advocacy efforts effectively with Government Relations peers in a high-performing, collaborative team environment. Manage outside consulting and trade association resources to achieve MetLife’s legislative and regulatory goals.
- Deliver timely communications to internal stakeholders regarding regulatory/legislative/policy developments that could impact the business to ensure an opportunity to influence outcomes. Executive-level writing skills are essential.
- Establish trusted relationships with key business partners across the company to inform U.S. advocacy priorities. Key internal stakeholders beyond the Government Relations team include leaders in the following areas: U.S. Business, Tax Department, Law Department, Investor Relations Department, Corporate Affairs Department, and the CEO and executive leadership team.
- Build a strong network of support among key external stakeholders (Congress, U.S. Administrative and regulatory agencies, trade associations, and third party influencers) to enhance advocacy efforts.
- Reports to: Vice President, Head of U.S. Government Relations
- Key Stakeholders: U.S. governmental officials (Congress, Executive Offices, Agencies), trade and industry groups, non-governmental organizations, MetLife business leaders, Executive Group, Corporate Affairs, Legal Affairs, Compliance, and other corporate functions.
With a minimum of eight to ten years of relevant government affairs experience, candidates will have expert familiarity with Capitol Hill and the legislative process. A strong understanding of regulatory process is also needed. Candidates’ experience would ideally include exposure to policy and legislative activities specific to the insurance, healthcare and/or financial services sector.
- Experience as a senior government relations specialist with a global company is preferred. Congressional, agency and/or White House experience is also highly valued.
- A team player with a proactive approach to people and issues management. Must partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency.
- An understanding of substantive domestic and international policy issues in the insurance/financial services/healthcare sectors. Deep functional experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationship and coalition building skills.
- Deep functional experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationship and coalition building skills.
- A thorough understanding of the legislative and executive policymaking process, including an understanding of the roles and decision points in the legislative and executive bodies, as well as the role of think tanks, associations and related organizations; A sophisticated understanding of the interrelationship between the legislative and regulatory processes across all levels of government.
- Significant political relations expertise, including exceptional contacts with current Senate majority leadership and Committee Chairs. Strong bipartisan House and Senate contacts also needed across specific committees of jurisdiction related to insurance, healthcare and financial services issues.
- An ability to effectively interact with business clients, including executive leadership and senior management; able to effectively influence and manage key relationships with a keen focus on collaboration and open communication.
- Ability to deliver timely, executive-caliber written and verbal communication to the Office of the CEO, Executive Group and other senior business partners across the enterprise.
- An inherent sense of ownership in managing objectives, staff, and stakeholders (internal and external).
- An ability to anticipate emerging government, public or community/social issues of importance to the industry and to position the company effectively to handle such issues in all aspects.
- A proven track record of strategic planning and developing a defined vision for carrying out an organization’s goals.
- Strong analytical ability and oral and written communications skills.
- An understanding of compliance laws regulating political activity.
- Strong organizational skills; Able to manage multiple long- and short-term projects with overlapping deadlines.
- Highly self-motivated work ethic; demonstrating sound judgment, trustworthiness, initiative, and an ability to manage multiple priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to travel to NY and other locations approximately 10% of the time (subject to COVID guidelines).
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with more than $500 billion in managed assets as of December 31, 2016. We are ranked #42 on the Fortune 500 list for 2017. In 2017, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the second year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life’s twists and turns. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife’s policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-16