Washington Affairs Manager
- Represent AeroVironment to the Executive and Legislative Branches of the U.S. Government.
- Coordinate and support AeroVironment’s U.S. Government and International customer interaction in Washington D.C.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Members of Congress, congressional committees and personal staff members.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for leadership interaction with the Congress.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Departments of Commerce, Defense, Homeland Security, Justice and State.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for leadership interaction with these Departments.
- Plan and implement business development and congressional engagement strategies.
- Manage resources and consultant lobbyists.
- Fully comply with lobby laws and lobby disclosure.
- Monitor and assure AeroVironment awareness of annual U.S. Government funding requests and Department of Defense reprogramming requests.
- Provide annual U.S. Government Program and Budget Justification documents to AeroVironment leadership and Business Development team.
- Monitor and provide AeroVironment with Congressional Mark Up results of annual U.S. Government Budget Requests.
- Assure U.S. Government-funded AV programs are fully funded by the congress and secure additional congressional funding for select AV programs.
- Represent AeroVironment interests to Aerospace, National Defense and International professional organizations.
- Regularly interacts with senior management or executive levels
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is required or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Minimum of 10 -12 years in aerospace, national defense activities
- Minimum of 5 years working congressional activities
- Thorough understanding of the Department of Defense resource allocation process
- Thorough understanding of congressional oversight process
- Ability to travel frequently between Washington D.C. (primary location of the role) and Simi Valley, CA, where extensive time may be required at Corporate HQ
- Masters Science or MBA preferred.
- Understanding of government proposal and program requirements.
- Understanding of international procurement.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for US government programs, as well as international sales
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to perform in a rapidly growing organization with rapidly changing requirements and sales targets
- Uses vision to think beyond the immediate situation, explore multiple potential paths, and adapt decision-making style based on the situational circumstances
- Brings organizational values to life using personality, uniqueness and the creation of a shared vision
- Champions the process of change and promotes a culture of quick adaptation while helping others deal with the effects of change
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and maintain internal and external trusting, professional relationships
- Ability to work in an office environment (Constant)
- Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
This position requires the use of information which is subject to compliance with International Traffic Arms Regulations (ITAR). To conform to U.S. Government export regulations/ITAR, applicants must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (or, green card holder), protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may appy.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-20