Writer, Communications Associate
J Street is looking to bring a talented writer and content creator onto our communications team who believes in our mission and will help drive our success advocating for diplomacy-first US policies and building a powerful political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans. Depending on experience, they would join us at the level of Associate or Senior Associate.
First and foremost, we’re looking for a savvy, creative storyteller, who is adept at writing in a wide range of voices and formats. The ideal candidate will have passion for winning political battles and be attuned to the nuances that make for great messaging.
For this communications team, every day is a potential new challenge as we react to and work to shape a fast-moving news cycle. The person in this position must be comfortable working in such a dynamic environment on a sensitive and rapidly evolving issue. They must think on their feet and write for an array of different audiences and purposes. They will have the interpersonal skills to build productive relationships with J Street staff and supporters working across the country.
The person in this position will work within our integrated communications and digital teams to craft communications strategy and produce a wide variety of incisive and informative content for both online and offline platforms. They will be a voice for a powerful and growing organization working on some of the most contentious and important issues in US foreign policy and American politics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft a wide range of online and offline content including op-eds, press releases, talking points, advocacy and fundraising emails, blog posts, social media posts and more.
- Advise staff and volunteer leaders on messaging for local op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Edit supporter-generated content to get it in publishable form, including working with student leaders.
- Compile and send J Street’s widely-read News Roundup email each weekday morning.
- Help to implement and send J Street’s emails and other communications via our mail system and other digital platforms.
- Assist with outreach to members of the media and with maintaining a tracker of key media relationships.
- A minimum of 1 years of experience in communications, preferably for an advocacy group, campaign or congressional office
- Ability to produce clean, immediately usable copy — and to constructively give edits and take edits
- Exceptional writing with proven ability to write in a range of voices
- Professional experience proofreading and editing for substance
- Ability to write quickly under frequent news and organizational deadlines
- Familiarity with J Street’s issues, particularly the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and US foreign policy in the Middle East
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative to set and meet professional goals
- Ability to work collaboratively across the organization
- Passion for advocacy work and belief in the importance of diplomacy
Bonus Skills (Not Required)
- Experience writing fundraising emails and action emails
- Experience with basic HTML, image editing or video editing
- Experience editing and proofing the work of others
- Experience with ActionKit or WordPress, or similar platforms such as MailChimp, Wix, Drupal or other CMS or mail systems
- Experience working within messaging guides or frameworks — eg. A specific newsroom style or brand messaging guide
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans who want Israel to be secure, democratic, and the national home of the Jewish people. Working in American politics and the Jewish community, J Street advocates policies that advance shared US and Israeli interests, as well as Jewish and democratic values, leading to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of over 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, with employees in seven cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv.
The J Street family of organizations includes J Street, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit that is responsible for lobbying and advocacy; JStreetPAC, a federal political action committee that endorses and raises money for federal candidates; and the J Street Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) that works to educate the public and raise awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Compensation, Benefits, and Employee Status
The salary range for this position runs from 43,000-50,000 for qualified individuals, depending on experience. This is a full-time position. Our comprehensive benefits package includes paid vacation and sick leave, personal leave, generous parental leave, paid time off on many federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company-paid life insurance, a 401k program, commuter benefits, and a flexible spending account. J Street recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in J Street’s bargaining unit and is covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
To Apply for the Position
We are excited to receive applications from a broad range of applicants as we grow our organization to better reflect the diversity of the communities that care about our mission. Please submit the items listed below:
- Cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of three references
At J Street we value an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to understanding and valuing each other’s perspectives at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our employees, and the communities we work with. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment and fellowship, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-26