XTO Public & Government Affairs Regional Manager, Appalachia Region
Job Role Summary
The XTO Public & Government Affairs (P&GA) Regional Manager, Appalachia Region, is responsible for the ongoing development and effective application of P&GA programs to advance business objectives within the Appalachia operating geographic region (currently encompassing Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia). This includes the management of community relations, government affairs, media relations, internal/eternal communications and community investment programs, as well as any associated outside consultants/contractors. The XTO P&GA Regional Manager provides strategic advice to senior business executives and P&GA management on integrated approaches to manage all aspects of government and community relations including recommendations on positioning to enhance the business climate and the company’s reputation in the region. The XTO P&GA Regional Manager ensures effective issue-related advocacy with third parties, including trade associations, think tanks, governments and regulatory authorities. The XTO P&GA Regional Manager will be located in the Warrendale, PA office, and report to the XTO P&GA Manager.
The manager is also responsible for monitoring, managing, and developing government relations strategies for all state legislative activity and executive branch directives of importance to XTO and ExxonMobil in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky and Delaware. This job function focuses on state government relations (Governor, Legislature, agencies) and associated advocacy activities on matters affecting ExxonMobil interests. These issues may overlap but can also be in addition to XTO’s interests. For this job function, the XTO P&GA Regional Manager will have dotted line reporting to the Manager, State Government Relations, Exxon Mobil Corporation.
Job Role Responsibilities
- Provide high level strategic public affairs and government relations advice, counsel and support to senior management in the operating division.
- Manage quickly changing priorities and/or external events that could impact business goals.
- Develop political and public analysis to support execution of business objectives.
- Ensure integrated communication and advocacy plans are developed and implemented to further business objectives.
- Develop relationships with key elected/appointed government officials, community organizations, P&GA consultants, key trade associations and think tanks.
- Draft public policy development options, messages, correspondence, formal comments to government agencies, and advocacy support materials.
- Manage ongoing development and effective application of government and community relations programs in the assigned region.
- Coordinate responses to official governmental inquiries.
- Conduct extensive cross-functional engagement within XTO and ExxonMobil P&GA, including state & federal government relations, communications, media, advertising and operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Lobbying and advocacy or industry experience; experience in a governor’s office, executive agency or legislator’s office preferred
- Minimum of ten years of experience in energy and/or environmental policymaking and advocacy preferred.
- Travel within the U.S. ~25%
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and stakeholders
- Varied public policy experience including, for example, in a government setting, corporation, trade or business association or think tank, preferably focused on energy and/or environmental advocacy and policymaking
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Government affairs experience with expertise in issue advocacy and public policy campaigns
- Solid understanding of public policy development, legislative and/or regulatory processes, and strategies for leveraging influence
- Experience working with Governors, legislators and other elected/appointed officials
- Strong public affairs experience (good understanding of all aspects of P&GA)
- Solid understanding of public policy development and legislative and/or regulatory processes and strategies for leveraging influence
- Excellent written and oral communications (ability to understand and communicate complex issues)
- Experience in project management, and/or negotiating
XTO Energy/ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-04-29