The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) has an opening for an Advocacy Coordinator position in its Government and Corporate Affairs Department.
The Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for assisting in developing and growing AAMFT’s advocacy grassroots network, and assisting AAMFT with its federal and state advocacy initiatives. The Advocacy Coordinator tracks federal and state legislation that impacts the marriage and family therapy profession, and tracks Congressional support for certain legislation and initiatives. The Advocacy Coordinator provides assistance to volunteers in accomplishing state advocacy goals. The Advocacy Coordinator drafts advocacy-related articles for AAMFT publications and assists in developing an advocacy e-newsletter. The Advocacy Coordinator assists with member engagement in advocacy, and utilizes social media platforms and other communication mediums to communicate with members on advocacy issues.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist staff in administering AAMFT’s advocacy program.
- Assist in developing and growing AAMFT’s advocacy grassroots network, including recruiting members to serve as advocacy leaders.
- Serve as primary point of contact for AAMFT’s advocacy grassroots leaders.
- Track legislation that impacts the marriage and family therapy profession.
- Assist with Capitol Hill visits by AAMFT members.
- Track support in Congress for certain legislation and initiatives.
- Provide state volunteer leaders with assistance on accomplishing AAMFT state advocacy objectives.
- Assist in developing advocacy e-newsletter.
- Arrange and oversee advocacy webinars and podcasts.
- Processing invoices received from volunteers and vendors pertaining to advocacy.
- Prepare fact sheets and other documents that support AAMFT advocacy activities and advance the profession.
- Monitor websites that advertise for jobs within the federal government for marriage and family therapists.
- Draft articles on advocacy and advocacy-related topics.
Qualifications and Skills:
Bachelor’s degree. One year prior advocacy experience desired. Knowledge of health issues and of federal and state legislative and regulatory processes desired. Experience in working with a volunteer grassroots network desired. Must have excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects. Possess knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office software programs, web content and management systems, databases, and social media platforms. Must pass a background check.
AAMFT is located within walking distance from the King Street Metro Station in Alexandria, Virginia, and offers an excellent work environment, including attractive benefits package.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and other qualifications. To apply, click here to complete the application. Applications submitted without salary requirements will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-07