Communications Manager, Public Affairs
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company.
On Microsoft’s Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) Public Affairs team, you’ll join a group of communications professionals focused on telling the stories to demonstrate the company’s commitment to building and fostering trust in technology, and its use in helping contribute to solving some of the world’s big challenges. The Public Affairs team is also part of the broader Microsoft Communications Group, so you’ll join a large, diverse group of professionals focused on innovative communications and you’ll have significant opportunities for career growth.
The Public Affairs communications team works on issues at the intersection of technology, public policy, and societal impact. We manage external communications on topics that drive daily news cycles and public discussion about the impact of technology around the world and the responsibility of tech providers in the broader societal context. We’re a multi-disciplinary, high-performing team with communications, marketing, and government affairs professionals.
[Job Purpose] We’re looking for a corporate communications professional with 8+ years’ experience to manage communications for the following sets of issues central to the company’s reputation. The ideal candidates will feel comfortable managing communications for high-stakes issues, juggling multiple priorities at once, be familiar with technology, and working with public policy issues.
Microsoft Philanthropies and UN Affairs
You’ll help support external communications plans in support of Microsoft Philanthropies initiatives including our work in digital skills and community engagement as well as our Tech for Social impact team within Philanthropies. The TSI team aims to accelerate digital transformation across three million nonprofits globally, so they can have a greater impact on the world’s most critical social issues.
On the UN Affairs front you’ll support communications campaigns for Microsoft’s initiatives and partnerships with the UN and other International Organizations. The vision for our UN Affairs team is to engage with the UN community, build relationships and learn, and help make Microsoft’s partnerships more impactful.
You’ll be working with teams across the company as well as with our customers, partners, policymakers, and organizations around the world to advance these efforts and drive impact. You will tell stories, lead communications moments and announcements, manage reputation impacting reactive issues, and engage reporters.
The role may be based at Microsoft’s headquarters in Redmond, Washington or at Microsoft offices in Washington DC, New York City or San Francisco.
- Developing and executing communications strategies to help advance the company’s key initiatives as outlined above
- Helping shape our message and tell our story to increase awareness of the team’s work and the contribution we can make to both the communities we serve and to Microsoft
- Provide communications counsel to a broad group of executives
- Provide strategic guidance to business groups and the global communications team focused on philanthropies, tech for social impact and UN initiatives.
- Managing relationships with top tier reporters, and with key media in the communities where we are working
- Managing PR agency team as integral members of our extended team
- Helping to drive integrated execution of communications campaigns across the Public Affairs team, with other teams in CELA and across our global comms teams
- 8 or more years of experience in policy, corporate, or issues related communications
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- A creative mind and ability to think differently to drive results
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team and across complex cross-group organizations
- Proven track record for new, innovative earned media approaches and smart risk taking
- Experience in driving proactive and impactful communications campaigns and media relation
- Exceptional communications skills
- Ability to manage complex issues in an incredibly fast-changing environment
- Understanding of evolving communications trends
Join us as a Communications Manager in CELA Public Affairs!
Want to hear from an employee currently working at Microsoft? Read their stories on Microsoft Life.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-15