Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Global Plastics Policy
The position is responsible for advocacy and coalition building for the Plastics division for purposes of advancing circular initiatives and sound public policy with key stakeholders across the plastics value chain. The position will lead participation in global multilateral forums and other venues. The position will also support engagement in the International Council of Chemical Associations Plastics Leadership Group, World Plastics Council, and Global Plastics Alliance to develop policies through a collaborative process. The position reports directly to the Senior Director, Global Plastics Policy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads development of key workstreams for ICCA’s Plastics Leadership Group to identify globally agreed to policy positions.
- Delivers global plastics policy advocacy messaging in close coordination with Plastics division staff and external stakeholders.
- Leads the Business for Plastic Pollution Action coalition, growing membership and delivering value for members and associations engaged in the UN plastics agreement discussions.
- Works across the Plastics division to leverage existing coalitions, partnerships, and relationships with interested groups to increase the level of understanding of the UN plastics agreement discussions and the connections between domestic and international sustainability policy.
- Serves as an advocate and industry representative to customer groups and other stakeholders on global plastics policy issues.
- Represents the Plastics division in meetings on global plastics policy at the international, federal, state, and local governments as needed.
- Builds and sustains relationships with technical experts, third parties, and government officials, including the United Nations Environment Program, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, key researchers, Non-Governmental Organizations, and major brands.
- Works across American Chemistry Council (ACC) divisions engaged on global plastics policy issues to leverage the collective expertise of the organization and deliver exceptional member value.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Eight years of advocacy or related experience.
- Experience working on sustainability initiatives.
- Demonstrated success addressing challenges using sound judgment and independent thinking to solve problems.
- The ability to engage in dialogue with business leaders, NGOs, and government officials.
- Ability to work independently, to prioritize projects, and effectively manage competing tasks/priorities.
- Ability to build consensus, work in a team environment and coordinate across groups within a large organization.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to represent member positions and policies to external audiences.
- Ability to travel internationally to attend conferences and workshops.
- International affairs experience.
- Experience working with Multilateral Environmental Agreements.
- Experience working on plastics policy issues.
- Expertise in developing partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders to achieve key objectives.
- Strong communications background.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-06