Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Regulatory Affairs
About this position
The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is seeking a Director of Regulatory Affairs.
NEMA represents the manufacturers of electrical equipment and medical imaging devices. Through the collective impact of our 325 member companies and 68 NEMA staff, we are leading the electrical and medical imaging industries into an ever-more electrified future—one defined by network-enabled devices and connectivity, electrified transportation, high-performance building systems, more resilient electrical grids, and advanced manufacturing.
NEMA is committed to expanding market opportunities and removing business barriers by developing industry standards, advocating on behalf of the industry at the international, federal, and state level, and delivering world-class market intelligence. NEMA serves its members by living our core values in every aspect of our work: respect, integrity, teamwork, and leadership.
The Director, Regulatory Affairs is responsible for the Federal Regulatory Core Competency practice and assists in State Advocacy Core Competency. The position primarily but not exclusively interacts with the U.S. Department of Energy, Federal Trade Commission, Environmental Protection Agency, California Energy Commission, California Public Utility Commission, Federal Communications Commission, Consumer Products Safety Commission, National Parks Service, and Housing and Urban Development. Advocacy expertise on both policy and technical issues to achieve desired outcomes is a key expectation of this position.
The Director reports to the Vice President of Public Affairs, and is based in Arlington, Virginia with provisions for a hybrid work schedule. Approximately 25 percent time on domestic travel is required.
Accountable for and leading expert in managing outcome-based regulatory advocacy efforts at the Federal and State
- Achieves NEMA industry positions with relevant agencies via in-person meetings, webinar/teleconference and written comments
- Maintains close coordination with NEMA membership on issues of importance
- Forms and leads coalitions to achieve assigned objectives, including teaming with other trade associations and/or professional organizations
Lead development and implementation of Federal- and State-level regulatory strategies Anticipates longer-term trends in the regulatory space and communicates through all NEMA channels, with emphasis on regulatory innovations relevant to Members
- Forcefully represents the association in State-level activities with officials, legislators, regulators, other stakeholders, and media
Understand, analyze and develop action plans to achieve industry-supportive results in Federal/State issues such as energy policy, utility regulation, and Standards
- Creates and has published via NEMA Communications original material related to Core Competency Practice and assigned Issue Portfolios, especially regarding Efficiency Policy and Efficiency Technology
Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree is required, advanced degrees a plus
- Five or more years of proven experience in government relations
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal and State regulatory processes to include energy conservation standards, building codes and electrical safety highly desirable
- Knowledge of electric energy/utility and manufacturing challenges and opportunities, especially as may be affected by regulations
- Strong relationship builder with executive presence, ability to shape policy-making and regulatory processes to achieve goals
- Trade association experience desirable and keen to master new digital skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to persuasively advocate in private and public settings
- Innovative thinker and leader, individually proactive and outcome-oriented, performs effectively as a team leader/builder/player
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced, multidiscipline environment with challenging timelines for multiple projects occurring simultaneously
NEMA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays and personal time, flexible working hours, 401(k) plan, health and dental insurance, and partial pre-tax parking/Metro subsidy.
Veterans are encouraged to apply. EOE/M/F/V/D.
Interested candidates should apply at NEMA CAREERS
Job posted: 2023-04-26