Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Guides Feeding America’s network of member food banks in the development and implementation of federal and state policies to reduce domestic hunger. Work closely with network food bank leaders to implement a wide range of policies and programs to advance Feeding America and network public policy objectives that support individuals facing food insecurity and the network’s ability to end hunger. Coordinate the implementation of strategies focused on the national office priority to support the Feeding America network in developing communicating and implementing, or otherwise engaging in state public policy campaign strategy across all Feeding America policy priorities.
- Develop programs, tools, and implement complex projects, to support the network in their strategic policy engagement, with a focus on SNAP, TEFAP and other commodities, child nutrition, tax, and other issues that support policy solutions to ending hunger.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a project plan to execute Feeding America’s strategic efforts to support network engagement in state public policy campaigns to end hunger.
- Develop and implement initiatives and programs that support Feeding America’s strategy to promote legislative and regulatory actions that increase food, funds, and resources for network members and individuals facing food insecurity.
- Working with the GR team and outside partners, provide data and analysis to understand the landscape of support for state policy engagement and to identify the resources needed for Feeding America to support state campaigns.
- Develop and implement strategically aligned projects and programs to help the network build, sustain and leverage effective partnerships to support their campaigns and coordinate the execution of network grants as needs to support this work.
- Develop state advocacy toolkits and campaign roadmaps for the network to use to advance or defend against proposed changes at the state level that would impact access to federal nutrition programs.
- Collaborate with appropriate national office stakeholders to ensure policy positions and campaigns are integrated into cross-programmatic strategies and projects.
- Collaborate with national partners to coordinate and leverage support for state policy engagement.
- Create advocacy materials for network members to use in their federal, state, and local policy campaigns.
- Work with GR and other Feeding America teams to ensure network access to relevant data to support federal, state and local policy campaigns.
- Monitor federal and state policies and legislation affecting the Feeding America network and individuals facing food insecurity and advises the Managing Director of Policy and GR leadership team on strategic matters and emerging issues relating to state policy and relevant connections to federal policy proposals.
- Represent Feeding America to external audiences at policy and legislative briefings, hearings, forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and similar events and educate policy makers, other organizations, and the general public about the Feeding America network, the problem of domestic hunger, policy issues impacting hunger, and solutions.
- Minimal Travel: a few trips annually.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis.
- Embraces Equity Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspective and feels welcome and valued. Seeks to understand equity concepts and structures and strives to incorporate an equity approach in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates department strategy into SMART project goals for teams and individuals. Ensures highest and best use of allocated resources. Empowers team members to execute projects. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages deep knowledge of industry and function to shape operational decisions and project plans. Uses prior technical experience to improve processes and procedures within the organization. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Drives Change: Leverages data-based observation, interpretation and intervention to engage stakeholders in shaping and implementing solutions. Identifies challenges and systemic barriers to change at the department/team level and engages in dialogue and productive conflict to move change forward.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Collaborates and models positive engagement resolving issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and large audience settings.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience, Certifications & Education:
- Eight plus years’ experience in advocacy, public policy or policy analysis required with a strong focus on nutrition assistance and child hunger programs.
- Must have significant federal or state government or issue advocacy experience, political campaign experience, or equivalent experience in public policy.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Expertise on the legislative and regulatory processes and implementation of federal programs at the state and local level.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Additional education in government affairs, law, political science, public policy, sociology or social work strongly preferred.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-25